POLL: What was worse? Leon's stock drop or Diaz's Fight IQ?

What was more embarassing?

• Total voters

Aspiring Ultracrepidarian

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Leon did not impress, and perhaps his boring style is a product of his coaching. After the 4th round, where Nate had never had him in trouble, he was told to "stay safe". Leon would hammer Nate, and then allow Nate to walk away. No pressure, no follow up. Even with the low output, Leon seemed to fade around 2 min into each round, allowing Nate to go tit for tat with him for the last half of each round. It was an embarrassing performance that does not give any modicum of confidence in an ability to beat, or be competitive, against Usman or Covington. Unless he scores a quick KO, which is unlikely, those two will kill him with volume and pressure.

As for Diaz, end of the fight, 5th round, Diaz lands that slap into a leaning 2 combo that he hit and stunned McGregor with. What does he do? he points and laughs. Then he taunts, and walks away. Leon Scott has his eyes rolled into the back of his head, staggering backwards, barely on his feet, hands down.. and Diaz lets him fully recover. HIS ONE CHANCE AT WINNING THE FIGHT. While Nick clearly has an anxiety disorder, Nate may simply be low IQ.. not just fight IQ, but "low" intelligence. That's been my take for a decade or more. This, yet again, demonstrates it.

So my question is, what was more embarrassing and laughable? Leon's performance, in lieu of him campaigning for a title shot? Or Nate Diaz's laughable fight IQ in not trying to finish?

Nate would have needed more than the couple seconds he lost for taunting. We got excited but let's not forget that he had taken a beating and his leg was jacked up. He was in a bad state.

Plus Leon was moving away. He has good defense and has never been finished.

I was impressed with Edwards, especially how he was able to respond to adversity and survive that final round. Also, his team clearly has a fight plan coming in, and he did a good job of following his directions. Some fighters have trouble listening to their corners or following their fight plans, so that’s a plus for me as well…

Leon was impressive for 4.5 rounds. Very smart to his approach, didn’t want to blow his gas tank going for a finish. Just got caught with a clean punch, to me it didn’t hurt his stock much at all.

Diaz not going after Leon was crazy. I am not sure if he realized how hurt he was, it seemed like it took 10 seconds for Nate to even realize he should go for the kill. If he would have got that KO it would have been one of the greatest moments in MMA

Nate would have needed more than the couple seconds he lost for taunting. We got excited but let's not forget that he had taken a beating and his leg was jacked up. He was in a bad state.

Plus Leon was moving away. He has good defense and has never been finished.

He was staggering away with his hands down. And Nate blew more than a couple of seconds, he didn't put on any pressure. After the pointing, he continued to taunt then walked away.

I think Nate could have beat him if he put that pressure from the start. It’s unfortunate they resort to antics during the fight.

leon scott's stock dropping was worse. he was pretty close to a title shot and then got put on wobbly legs by the stockton slap. everyone knows diaz is a braindead stoner with low fight iq so it wasnt shocking that he was taunting instead of going for the kill.

Leon did not impress, and perhaps his boring style is a product of his coaching. After the 4th round, where Nate had never had him in trouble, he was told to "stay safe". Leon would hammer Nate, and then allow Nate to walk away. No pressure, no follow up. Even with the low output, Leon seemed to fade around 2 min into each round, allowing Nate to go tit for tat with him for the last half of each round. It was an embarrassing performance that does not give any modicum of confidence in an ability to beat, or be competitive, against Usman or Covington. Unless he scores a quick KO, which is unlikely, those two will kill him with volume and pressure.

As for Diaz, end of the fight, 5th round, Diaz lands that slap into a leaning 2 combo that he hit and stunned McGregor with. What does he do? he points and laughs. Then he taunts, and walks away. Leon Scott has his eyes rolled into the back of his head, staggering backwards, barely on his feet, hands down.. and Diaz lets him fully recover. HIS ONE CHANCE AT WINNING THE FIGHT. While Nick clearly has an anxiety disorder, Nate may simply be low IQ.. not just fight IQ, but "low" intelligence. That's been my take for a decade or more. This, yet again, demonstrates it.

So my question is, what was more embarrassing and laughable? Leon's performance, in lieu of him campaigning for a title shot? Or Nate Diaz's laughable fight IQ in not trying to finish?
most embarrassing and laughable are Leon's haters.
Leon did everything absolutely perfect through 4 rounds.
Beat thoroughly a very tough opponent for 4 rounds, and they still try to find some way to bash him.

It's very hard to look good against a diaz unless you have a very specific combination of skills..

Also nate had been battered for 24 minutes and probably didn't understand how bad he hurt leon right away..

Ofcourse any sherbro would have finished leon at that point but on the other hand we never go more than 1 round against puny welterweights..

most embarrassing and laughable are Leon's haters.
Leon did everything absolutely perfect through 4 rounds.
Beat thoroughly a very tough opponent for 4 rounds, and they still try to find some way to bash him.

"Haters" is an interesting term to describe this. Leon has a very solid skill set. I think he has a questionable gas tank, based on his output. That makes Usman and Covington stylistic nightmares for him. I simply do not think his vs Usman is at all intriguing.

Couple that with his boring style, and boring personality... and the fact that the UFC is as much an entertainment company as it is a sport.. and Leon has a challenging road ahead of him to get the title shot.

PS: Nate has never been a contender at WW. Never. This fight was a gimme, to try to see if Leon could look impressive against a big name. He failed the test. Evidenced by the UFC choosing to leave Gilbert Burns tweet saying Leon "lost" his title shot with that performance up for the entirety of Nate's speech, and playing Nate rocking Leon for the entirety of Leon's speach. Writing is on the wall.

He was staggering away with his hands down. And Nate blew more than a couple of seconds, he didn't put on any pressure. After the pointing, he continued to taunt then walked away.

First of all, you still have to pick your shots when a guy is hurt. Rushing after a guy could get you tied up or even countered. Maybe you waste your energy if you're not careful.

Secondly it's also a matter of ability, Nate's leg was beat to shit and he was pretty worn from the fight himself.

Third, Leon is not going out easily. He got hurt but he backed away and covered up whenever Nate got close.

Need more sherdoggers in there to show Leon how to finish a diaz brother and also another sherdogger to show an exhausted Nate whose just been getting his ass kicked for 24 minutes to just flat line Leon

Sherdog gonna sherdog.

Have either Diaz ever shown any fight IQ? Not really fair to hold it against them <Lmaoo>

I think we need a 3rd option: this thread (which is more 'embarrassing' than either of their performances).

First of all, you still have to pick your shots when a guy is hurt. Rushing after a guy could get you tied up or even countered. Maybe you waste your energy if you're not careful.

Secondly it's also a matter of ability, Nate's leg was beat to shit and he was pretty worn from the fight himself.

Third, Leon is not going out easily. He got hurt but he backed away and covered up whenever Nate got close.

1. Nate's only chance to win. Time to go for broke.
2. It was the last minute of the fight. All energy must be spent going for this finish.
3. Leon was out on his fight, hands down, for several seconds.

One thing we definitely needed today is another thread about Leon's stock.

Back