Its 2021 and mma fighters cant check leg kicks

tramendous

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Why is this? Like you know for an adesanya fight hes going to leg kick you all fight so why wouldnt you train lots of kickboxing kick defence drills and counters? All it takes is a few properly checked kicks to really discourage your opponent from throwing them yet they let a guy like adesanya throw them ALL fight. I know izzy is good at it but these guys dont even try. The only guy to do it was yan and he won.

Fedor isnt even a kickboxer but he was smart enough to train with ernesto hoost to develop a comprehensive kicking defence to not get leg kicked all night like a bum. Like these guys can safely do a full kickboxing stance vs adesanya without worrying adesanya is gonna shoot a takedown.

This is without even mentioning that they should be chaining their strikes with takedowns.

Why is this? Like you know for an adesanya fight hes going to leg kick you all fight so why wouldnt you train lots of kickboxing kick defence drills and counters? All it takes is a few properly checked kicks to really discourage your opponent from throwing them yet they let a guy like adesanya throw them ALL fight. I know izzy is good at it but these guys dont even try. The only guy to do it was yan and he won.

Fedor isnt even a kickboxer but he was smart enough to train with ernesto hoost to develop a comprehensive kicking defence to not get leg kicked all night like a bum. Like these guys can safely do a full kickboxing stance vs adesanya without worrying adesanya is gonna shoot a takedown.

This is without even mentioning that they should be chaining their strikes with takedowns.

You know I've often wondered that myself. Leg kicks were not invented last year so I don't know why many fighters don't check them. Maybe they are looking to counter so having both feet planted makes that easier. But you still eat way too many leg kicks and then struggle to be able to stand strong. At that point, a fighter loses a lot of power if unable to stand firm on a leg.

lots of fighters got leg-kicked throughout their fights last night alone.

It is something we can only hops they will evolve (in time).

You know I've often wondered that myself. Leg kicks were not invented last year so I don't know why many fighters don't check them. Maybe they are looking to counter so having both feet planted makes that easier. But you still eat way too many leg kicks and then struggle to be able to stand strong. At that point, a fighter loses a lot of power if unable to stand firm on a leg.

My understanding is that a lot of it is the stance they train. That stance makes defending takedowns easier. The kickboxibg muay thai stance makes it easy to check leg kicks but more difficult to defend takedowns but vs a guy like adesanya thats not a worry. So why do I as a viewer see this but not their coaches?

My understanding is that a lot of it is the stance they train. That stance makes defending takedowns easier. The kickboxibg muay thai stance makes it easy to check leg kicks but more difficult to defend takedowns but vs a guy like adesanya thats not a worry. So why do I as a viewer see this but not their coaches?
That's a really good point.

It'll take some time before being able to check leg kicks will be common in MMA. Just like it took a while before more than 2 fighters had a good jab.

It is. I just used adesanya as an example but yes diaz bros are notorious for never checking them either.
Gotcha. I feel Nate got buckled every time. Although Vettori took more, he stayed composed until he started dropping. Still poor defense all around.

Back