Does Whittaker beat this version of Izzy?

ifindgifsforjackslack

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Israel seems to have evolved his game, his grapplings gotten better, and he came forward alot more this fight. Whereas recently we have seen Rob fight longer and space out / hide the blitz better.

Who do you think takes the rematch, and whos adjustments do you think are more vital for the rematch? Or do you think neither fighter has evolved and they are just cans, but are beating bums?

Probably not but he can win a few rounds possibly and not get KO'd again with a better gameplan than the first fight. He's looked very good in his last few fights, especially against Kelvin although Kelvin was outclassed hard.

I'd say the Whittaker that fought Izzy definitely didn't use all of his tools. The issue for Whittaker against Izzy is that he cannot fight him at range at all. he does not get the option to do so. Another issue is that Whittakers style is not meant for pressure due to being so bladed. You can't push a guy against the fence easily if you can't actively deal with lateral movement. Whittaker needs to jab to the body, check kicks and really fire his own kicks. Izzy is just as heavy on the lead leg as Whittaker is. A takedown or 2 after a blitz would not be a issue either.

No.

His jab has gotten better, but he still can hardly hang in the pocket, doesn't have the best chin, and keeps his hands low. He darts in and out and relies on that a lot for his set ups with his blitzes.

Stylistically, Izzy is kryptonite for both him and Costa.

Well, I would kill a small child for that to happen, but no probably not.

Still my boy and second best in the division no doubt

He can't get into a prolonged striking match with Israel. Israel doesn't like to fight without his back near the cage. Force him to lead and take him down.

He can win, but he needs to fight smart. Whittaker fought like a fool their first fight. He needs to not lunge in and he needs to grapple. He's a much better fighter than Vettori

There's no way Whittaker can do any worse. But he still kind of lunges in all exposed and he can't fix his stature - just too short to not be kept at range. Meanwhile Izzy's grappling and takedown defense is getting better.

But! The rematch HAS to happen. They're the two best guys at MW.

I don’t think Rob has the reach to put him away, he should play wrestler and fake takedowns. Chimaev is the only MW I’d put as the upfront favorite against Adesanya

I'd say the Whittaker that fought Izzy definitely didn't use all of his tools. The issue for Whittaker against Izzy is that he cannot fight him at range at all. he does not get the option to do so. Another issue is that Whittakers style is not meant for pressure due to being so bladed. You can't push a guy against the fence easily if you can't actively deal with lateral movement. Whittaker needs to jab to the body, check kicks and really fire his own kicks. Izzy is just as heavy on the lead leg as Whittaker is. A takedown or 2 after a blitz would not be a issue either.

If Whittaker can check the kicks, he is capable of striking from range himself and being competitive at that range; He has very good kicks himself. Jan isn't much longer than Whittaker and he had a lot of success kicking with Izzy. He doesn't need to beat Izzy at his own game, but as he's not a sitting duck out there like romero, costa, and marvin were, then he can use it to set up avenues to the wrestling. All of these Middleweights really need to be drilling leg kick defence like a mother fucker because checking Izzy's kicks is step number one to beating him.

Last edited:
Back