Why are they promoting "first Italian champ" but not "first Mexican"

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
They keep mentioning that Vetori could be the first Italian to win the UFC title, but they keep pretending that Cain was the first Mexican champ even though he was born and lived all his life in the States.

It's just weird, why not Tito Ortiz, or Ricco Rodriguez then? Why Cain of all people, the guy's Spanish is garbage (yes I speak Spanish), Werdum made him look like a gringo at his own press conference in his supposed country.

They never promoted Stipe or Miletich as the first Croatian champs, they dont promote Volk as the first Macedonian champ, etc.

To me, you need to at least be born in the country to represent the flag. Moreno is most likely getting beat down tonight I think, but if he does manage to win I will consider him the first Mexican champ.

What if you were born in a country but immediately moved to another one these are some weird purity tests

Doesn't matter which country you get born in, if both of your parents are chinese and you get born in Jamaica it doesn't make you Jamaican.
Why is this so hard for Americans?

Because that's not how it works. Anywhere. Citizenship is not based on ethnicity.
A chinese person born in Jamaica is Jamaican. A Jamaican person born in Germany is German.

Why promote either? How damn boring are MMA fighters that the best they have to run with is what region of the world they were arbitrarily and randomly born in?

cain and cejudo both mexican.

pettis is part mexican

i thought eddie alvarez was mexican... but apparently he's Irish (wtf) and PR

Based on what?

Why wasn’t it Tito Ortiz?

TLDR - It's about making money .
Identity politics wasn't as big a deal back when Tito was champ .
Nowadays , if they want to appease part of the current culture , they have to push certain demographics .
Of course its always been known , that to make financial inroads into a certain market , you have to push fighters that are a part of that market .
For instance , if you go to Brazil , have non-Brazilians vs Brazilians , which guarantees a big crowd .

Back