When did the following fighters become elite?

Kono dio da!

Giorno's Father
@red
Reaction score
Max holloway was always good. But his aldo win shocked me. His beatdown of pettis was impressive but nothing about it prepared me for what was coming next. For you guys when did it click? When did you realise that he was at that level?

Poirier - i suspected for a while. For me it was that first alvarez fight. When did you guys realise he was top tier talent?

As for oliveira... Well i picked against him in the tony and lee fights. I only came round before chandler. What was the turning point for you guys?

Watching Holloway go toe to toe with Lamas in the final round showed he was among the elite.

It took me forever to give Poirier his due, but smashing Gaethje at his own game finally convinced me.

Oliveira beating Ferguson did it for me, he has let me down in the past a few times but he seems to have it altogether so good for him.

Watching Holloway go toe to toe with Lamas in the final round showed he was among the elite.

It took me forever to give Poirier his due, but smashing Gaethje at his own game finally convinced me.

Oliveira beating Ferguson did it for me, he has let me down in the past a few times but he seems to have it altogether so good for him.
Those are fair answers.

I was taking notice of Charles of how good he is after the Guida fight but after his two finish wins by strikes over Lentz and Jordan I felt he could become champion.
Stipe with his first loss to JDS I felt he had it to become champion.
I was dead wrong with Mickey Gall though. I felt he would be a contender and he even brought up going down to lightweight to capture the belt.

Last edited:
Sounds dumb given his career trajectory, but Usman after the Colby fight. Not here to argue caliber of opponents and whether Mas deserved a TS, etc...but Kamaru went from winning unanimous decisions to absolutely wrecking guys. I shit on him as a point fighter, so I have to respect him now as a finisher.

Another equally dumb/obvious pick would be Francis post losses to Stipe and Derrick Lewis. He was always dangerous, but he has fought nothing but monsters on his current 5 kill streak.

Holloway when he beat Aldo the first time. Two times, with the 2nd time easier is a confirmation.

Poirier when he beat Gaethje & Alvarez with stunning performances back to back.

Oliveira when he dominated Tony

For Holloway it was when he faced Cub swanson.

Poirier, I agree, it was the first alvarez fight where he started putting everything together.

Oliveira has been very good for a long time, and honestly I think he's still improving.... I knew he'd be a threat at 155lbs once I saw him outstrike teymur, who was 5-0 in the ufc and a good striker.

I think only Holloway is elite on the list. Charles is an elite talent but needs more names under his belt. Poirier is borderline needs Conor repeat win and then take the belt from there to be elite.

All of those guys were always very good. They were 21 years older fighting elite fighters. Poitier became elite when he moved up to 155

Max holloway was always good. But his aldo win shocked me. His beatdown of pettis was impressive but nothing about it prepared me for what was coming next. For you guys when did it click? When did you realise that he was at that level?

Poirier - i suspected for a while. For me it was that first alvarez fight. When did you guys realise he was top tier talent?

As for oliveira... Well i picked against him in the tony and lee fights. I only came round before chandler. What was the turning point for you guys?

Holloway I always had a hunch, i'd say the Cub Swanson fight was his transition.
Porier, again I knew. His wins over Alvarez and Gaethje solidified his elite status.
Oliveira... I guess he is now. Nobody ever disputed his talent but having so many dips earlier in his career I don't think anyone could've seen him being LW champ. Granted, I had him winning his last few fights.

No offense, but just how casual are you?
Only after Holloway wins 10 straight you realize he's elite?
Only after Oliveira becomes UFC all time submission leader you realize he's elite?
Only after Porier's 20th UFC fight you realize he's elite?

I perdicted the aldo vs holloway fight to a tee twice, with a 3rd round tko after getting overwhelmed, but i'd say max was elite since the stephens fight. he was elite for a while but circumstances kept him from the belt longer than it should have, by the time he got it he was WELL proven. and already beat a bunch of people that aldo beat.

Back