Charles Oliveira's stand up game has been exposed

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I love Oliveira, well rounded and great champion for sure. Most finishes in the UFC, most subs, entertaining to watch, but with a few holes fighters like Poirier, Gaethje or Conor can exploit..

Against Chandler, and because he's not afraid of being taken down, he was using his usual faints/kicks, and showed aggressivness to push Chandler against the cage. His guard is usually very high, with a very traditional muay thai stance.

But his main weakness is his lack of head movement. And many coaches will say it's hard to kill the old habits. Charles and his team know that his head movement is lacking, so they try to compensate it with lots of activity, high guard, and fear of takedown.

However, and because Chandler found holes when Charles was less active, this strategy is not perfect.. He got it clean, and in the first round. Props to him for coming back strong in the second round, as if he had gotten his senses back, and well done to him for executing a picture perfect counter.

I fear great strikers like Poirier, Conor, or even brawlers like Gaethje will be able to capitalize on this lack of head movement and KO him.. Or, he could turn into a grappling wizard and get Conor and Dustin to deal with his ground game.. But he'd have to take them down, which is no easy task

In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC at 0.77 absorbed per minute (vs 3.01 for Oliveira).

Islam will be a dangerous stylistic challenge to Oliveira..no wonder Islam tweeted to Charles to keep the belt warm for him

Last edited:
In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC at 0.77 absorbed per minute (vs 3.01 for Chandler).

Islam will be a dangerous stylistic challenge to Oliveira..no wonder Islam tweeted to Charles to keep the belt warm for him
He has 70% striking defense and hasn't faced the best opposition yet. Cruz has 72% Idk who has the best but don't make shit up to make your man crush seem better than he is. Strikes absorbed per minute isn't the same thing as striking defense.

I love Oliveira, well rounded and great champion for sure. Most finishes in the UFC, most subs, entertaining to watch, but with a few holes fighters like Poirier, Gaethje or Conor can exploit..

Against Chandler, and because he's not afraid of being taken down, he was using his usual faints/kicks, and showed aggressivness to push Chandler against the cage. His guard is usually very high, with a very traditional muay thai stance.

But his main weakness is his lack of head movement. And many coaches will say it's hard to kill the old habits. Charles and his team know that his head movement is lacking, so they try to compensate it with lots of activity, high guard, and fear of takedown.

However, and because Chandler found holes when Charles was less active, this strategy is not perfect.. He got it clean, and in the first round. Props to him for coming back strong in the second round, as if he had gotten his senses back, and well done to him for executing a picture perfect counter.

I fear great strikers like Poirier, Conor, or even brawlers like Gaethje will be able to capitalize on this lack of head movement and KO him.. Or, he could turn into a grappling wizard and get Conor and Dustin to deal with his ground game.. But he'd have to take them down, which is no easy task
No offense but you're not sharing anything new

He has 70% striking defense and hasn't faced the best opposition yet. Cruz has 72% Idk who has the best but don't make shit up to make your man crush seem better than he is. Strikes absorbed per minute isn't the same thing as striking defense.

Part of striking defense is to prevent your opponent from throwing.

Oliveira's only faced stronger competition than Islam in Chandler. That's not enough to sway the statistic.

Fighter Kevin Lee and past-prime Ferguson aren't tougher competion than Dober and Arman.

Oliveira's only faced stronger competition than Islam in Chandler. That's not enough to sway the statistic by much.

Fighter Kevin Lee and past-prime Ferguson aren't tougher competion than Dober and Arman.
You can't even compare the two.
Also, Kevin Lee is a very very good and gifted fighter. Unfortunately he lacks in two very important areas and that's why he has never reached his true potential.

You can't even compare the two.
Also, Kevin Lee is a very very good and gifted fighter. Unfortunately he lacks in two very important areas and that's why he has never reached his true potential.

When comparing a large pool of opponents for striking defence stats, Oliveira hasn't faced much stronger competition than Islam. Yeah he's faced 1 or 2 stronger opponents but that's not enough to sway statistics.

Oliveira's only faced stronger competition than Islam in Chandler. That's not enough to sway the statistic.

Oliveira has also fought guys like Holloway, Pettis, prime Cerrone etc.. Yeah he might have lost to them but he did fight them. I wasn't comparing him with Oliveira in that regard though I was just comparing him with everybody in general. Cruz for example who has fought for the belt several times has better striking defense.

Also no that most certainly is not part of striking defense lmao. That's like saying amazing wrestlers with good control on the ground have great striking defense because they don't get hit as much.

Oliveira has also fought guys like Holloway, Pettis, prime Cerrone etc.. Yeah he might have lost to them but he did fight them. I wasn't comparing him with Oliveira in that regard though I was just comparing him with everybody in general. Cruz for example who has fought for the belt several times has better striking defense.

Also no that most certainly is not part of striking defense lmao. That's like saying amazing wrestlers with good control on the ground have great striking defense because they don't get hit as much.

Just like Gaethje is credited with TDD by having a stance and skills that prevent most of his opponents from shooting, part of Islam's striking defense is his ability to prevent opponents from throwing.

When comparing a large pool of opponents for striking defence stats, Oliveira hasn't faced much stronger competition than Islam. Yeah he's faced 1 or 2 stronger opponents but that's not enough to sway statistics.
I meant that generally you can't compare the two.
Also, Makhachev is a extremely good sambo fighter. Those fighters absorb the least amount of strikes.
The two of them are very different types of fighters, so they're barely comparable

Back