Tony Ferguson refusing to tap is stupidity not toughness

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.

let's meet halfway between "toughness" and "stupidity" and call it "intensity".
giphy.webp

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I tap like a bitch when I know I'm fucked! :)

I also DON'T make a hundred thousand + in one day based on 25 minutes of work (after more training than 99% of humans actually do) and have a job that requires usage of all my limbs lol. I can see why a fighter won't tap because as long as they think they have a chance, they will lay it all out. I mean we've seen it before where someone injured gets the W and large bonus. Franklin KO'd Chuck with an arm he knew was broken, so it's never impossible.

If they mentally can get through the pain, and think they have a path to victory, it makes sense. To average 40/week folk, fuck that -- I can't be out of work for months on end. It's literally toughness + stupidity + money + adrenaline + belief + training for that one moment where you have no time to question yourself. Meanwhile, I'm on my 1/2 hour break wondering if my girl will gimme some head after work. Not exactly having to make pressure decisions in the moment.

Last edited:
It's just shows poor skills and technique imo. Skilled Grapplers either knows to defend a submission via position, or get out via sound technique. This whole letting the other guy break my limps bs in the Olive and Dariush fight just proves Tony's grappling skills is not on par with the cream of the crop.

It's the equivalent of trying to block punches with your face your entire career like Leben.

Not impressed at all

Definitely toughness and in a way smart. Dana can run with how "tough" Tony Ferguson is along with his fellow red goof Rogan and continue to make names off the corpse of El Cucuy for years . All the while he gets paid instead of moving to the B leagues of course .

Last edited:
Being a little delusional can be beneficial as a fighter. Tony scores high on the delusion scale. So, in his mind, he probably thought there was some way he could come back in round 3 and win the fight (which from the outside seems impossible), so tapping would be giving up on his chances. Not tapping to those subs does make him incredibly physically/mentally tough though, but at the same time it's a bit delusional and reckless.

Jacare did something like that when he refused to tap to Roger Gracie, who broke his arm, but by not tapping Jacare was still able to win on points:

In Tony's mind he probably had some chance of scoring a finish in some way later in the fight and win like Jacare did.

Last edited:
If we look at his record, his last two losses is decisions. If he wouldve tapped, his last two losses is finishes. For his legacy in the long run, it's better that he didn't tap.

The average man would've tapped. For you his decision to tough it out is stupid. For Tony it is what it is.

Well he got out. Don't know what damage was done, but he really needed a win there and isn't in the same position as a 28 year old who can take the loss, regroup and go on a run. That was pretty much the nail in the coffin for Tony ever fighting for the title.

It's just shows poor skills and technique imo. Skilled Grapplers either knows to defend a submission via position, or get out via sound technique. This whole letting the other guy break my limps bs in the Olive and Dariush fight just proves Tony's grappling skills is not on par with the cream of the crop.

It's the equivalent of trying to block punches with your face your entire career like Leben.

Not impressed at all

Yeah, like Jacare.

He clearly has poor skills and technique.

He should have been able to get out via sound technique.

well... they do say that he's actually crazy.

People will actually respect him more for not taping. Your not a Ferguson fan gtfo.

Back