Does anyone actually think Volk is the best featherweight in the world?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Serious question.

I'm not letting two basement dwellers who know nothing of fighting to tell me who the best featherweight in the world is.

As far as I'm concerned, Max is #1 and his first title defense since regaining his place was against Calvin Kattar and what a performance it was.

Judges have way too much say into our sport. It sucks ass, because we are tuning in to watch who is the better fighter among two individuals who weigh in the same the day before. Instead of that purity being the determining factor, judges and refs also have a say in history and I'm not a better, but I can't imagine contending with those intangible factors when betting on MMA is hard enough. It's not enough to predict a sport with this many variables but you also have to factor in consistent, pervasive, and inexcusable human error? No thanks.

Serious question.

I'm not letting two basement dwellers who know nothing of fighting to tell me who the best featherweight in the world is.

As far as I'm concerned, Max is #1 and his first title defense since regaining his place was against Calvin Kattar and what a performance it was.

Judges have way too much say into our sport. It sucks ass, because we are tuning in to watch who is the better fighter among two individuals who weigh in the same the day before. Instead of that purity being the determining factor, judges and refs also have a say in history and I'm not a better, but I can't imagine contending with those intangible factors when betting on MMA is hard enough. It's not enough to predict a sport with this many variables but you also have to factor in consistent, pervasive, and inexcusable human error? No thanks.
I think he's up there. He's an a very intelligent fighter. One of the smartest. Might not be entertaining for most but he's smart.

Two close fights don't make him better than Max. Styles make fights. Max does better against the rest of the division. I'm even picking Ortega to beat Volkanovski.

He clearly won the first fight, and the second fight was really close. If you scored the fight as a whole then yeah Max won, but thats not how judging works in the UFC and if it did I’m sure that Volk would have changed his gameplan to cater to that judging criteria.

So I dont see the big deal here

Last edited:
Volk is the real deal, Max has many holes in his game that high IQ fighters can exploit.

Fans remember Max rocking Volk, but don't remember Volk out striking him clearly, and I was pulling for Max to get it done. He landed more strikes in every single round besides the first, which ended in a 19-19 tie. Max felt the power and got his leg damaged, he couldn't apply the pressure he could against lesser fighters...
<WhatItIs>

Last edited:
Max got schooled by volko in fight 1. Max is his son lol. As for fight 2, imagine dropping someone in rounds 1 and 2 (like max did in the second fight) and still being bad enough to lose the last 3 rounds ultimately meaning you lose the fight.

Yes he is. Don't let his boring style cloud your judgement.

Serious question.

You sound mad bro....maybe you should come out of the basement and actually learn something about the sport considering you just went on a rant that Holloway is the best FW in the world...despite him dropping 2 fights to Volkanovski. The second fight was much closer but fact still remains Holloway is 0-2 and thus has zero claim as the top dog in the division.

Volk is the real deal, Max has many holes in his game that high IQ fighters can exploit.

Fans remember Max rocking Volk, but don't remember Volk out striking him clearly, and I was pulling for Max to get it done.
<WhatItIs>
<PlusJuan>
People bitch way too much about 2nd fight being a robbery, it was a close ass fight. Holloway will probably get another TS anyway, so I don't get why people are still bitching about a close decision.
I love Max and think he can beat most FW's, but his fanboys need to chill.
A real robbery is Jones vs Reyes.

Last edited:
He is as of now. He fought his way up to a title shot and is 2-0 against Max. Both were close decisions where either guy could have won but at the end of the day Volk won and results matter. There has never been a “robbery” in any decision I could think of. Controversial, close decisions have been always back and forth battles with different opinions but hardly robberies. Max wasn’t robbed off a win against Volk in the rematch. I do think it was a draw or even a sd for Max, but that’s my perspective only....It could have gone either way.

Last edited:
Serious question.

A basement dweller pretending to not be a basement dweller.

He clearly won the first fight, and the second fight was really close. If you scored the fight as a whole then yeah Max won, but thats not how judging works in the UFC and if it did I’m sure that Volk would have changed his gameplan up catering to that judging criteria.

So I dont see the big deal here
I scored it round by round for Max, as did most.

I actually think that Holloway is a horrible match up for volk. I expect guys not named Max Holloway to look terrible against volk. I think he’s the best in the world, but I also think Max has it in him to finally win one at some point

All sports have elements of human error. Dumb thread.
Not the same.

I'm big into multiple sports. In baseball and basketball, they mess up calls all the time. But the game isn't over with one call. In MMA, it is.

If the heat beat the bucks 112-110, we don't have dorks sitting there saying:

"I tihnk the bucks won, because if there were 5 quarters, I think they would have won, let's give it to the bucks".

"I like the way the bucks play better, let's give it to them".

Back