alex21cms

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
most of his vistories are over gatekeepers like cerrone , pettis and lee

edit (found this post on FB)

186518767_4404540276243344_8354364027246703658_n.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t wanna be that guy but I do think he was always overrated. Obviously a good fighter but not what people made him out to be. Just benefitted from favourable style matchups.

most of his vistories are over gatekeepers like cerrone , pettis and lee

I guess it depends on your definition of gatekeeper. One way to look at it is that gatekeepers tell us who is great and who is just decent. Cerrone played gatekeeper to Alexander Hernandez, Al Iaquinta, Tony and Justin in four consecutive fights. Sent two packing to the back of the top ten and authenticated the other two as genuine contenders.

Even if you think ALL those guys were gatekeepers — Cerrone, Pettis, Lee, RDA, Barboza, Thomson, etc. — it’s pretty damn impressive to run through all of them.

As for precisely how good Tony was..... he wasn’t GSP or Khabib, a guy with pristine skills and perfect gameplan. He was a wild, dangerous nutball who laid it all on the line and almost always came out on top.

All time great in my book.

Don’t wanna be that guy but I do think he was always overrated. Obviously a good fighter but not what people made him out to be. Just benefitted from favourable style matchups.
You could say that for everyone.

Facts are that he went undefeated against top competition for a while. He was really good and a scary mathup for anyone.

Yea he was really good. Not as good as people on here pretend he was. He was never going to beat Dustin, Gaethje, Khabib and even Conor likely would’ve put his lights out. Top 6ish. Gets hit way too much and his ground game was given way too much credit. Still a top LW all time with a stellar career.

He was good, but overrated, and would've been mauled with ease by Khabib.

Disagree that he was overrated but agree that Khabib was a terrible matchup. Ultimately Tony was probably too wild to beat a world class champion at the very top of his game.

Yuck

This is what fighters hate about MMA fans

Yeah Tony was insanely fucking good
Insanely tough. Put a huge pressure on people, won a lot of fights. Really good fighter
Technically solid or good? Eh.
Catching up to him now.

No. Everybody knows if you lose then you were never really good. If you win, you are goat. Just simple sherdog facts.

Overrated he always had holes in his game, guys just weren't as effective back them because he wasn't fighting good grapplers all the time

Back