The time has come for Tony/Lando II

DS66

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
That's right folks. For the last few years, we as MMA fans could only dream of this day- A time where it made sense to run back everyone's favourite fight from 2016. Their first clash was a wild, wacky, back and forth battle that brought joy and pure entertainment to everyone who laid eyes on it.

c97196161dfa7331da8c29ddab219ae4.gif

giphy.gif

AnxiousShallowIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

AdmirableUnsightlyAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

aa126ba09d951c6ee1ba6d30b9a505bc.gif

Alas, after this battle for the ages, their careers would go in completely different trajectories- Tony would win his next 4 including the interim LW belt, while Lando would go 1-2-2 in his next 5 and become largely irrelevant in the division. The dream of a rematch between these two seemed all but impossible.

But here we are in 2021: Tony has been dominated on the way to 3 consecutive losses and it's become clear to everyone that his days as a top contender in the LW division are over. He needs a significant decrease in competition for his next (and possibly final) UFC fight. Enter, Groovy Lando Vannata. At a still young 29 years old, he's shown some signs of improvement and gone 3-2 in his last 5. In fact, he's never been finished in 10 fights since his clash with Tony. What an absolutely perfect opportunity for the UFC to match these two up again and kill 3 birds with one stone: 1. Give Tony a fight against a lower level of competition while giving him the chance to end his career with a W, 2. Give Lando an opportunity to break into the LW rankings, and 3. Most importantly, entertain the fuck out of everyone who watches.

Your move, Dana.

UFC-FIGHT-NIGHT-SIOUX-FALLS_Event_Gallery0069.JPG

Lando just went down to 145 and had success. I dont think he wants to go back up now again. Also Tony would die going to 145.
You're certainly not wrong. However at the same time, I can't imagine Lando would turn down the chance to rematch Tony at 155 if given the offer.

Don't ruin the dream man!

I think everyone is under playing the severity of Tony's leg injury. I think he will need a year to recover and have any hope of actually winning a fight...

Tony needs to call it a fucking day. He's extra crispy already.

No. Time has come for a great fighter to know he's done.

If he has to fight 1 more it should be a final fight for both he an Cowboy

No. Time has come for a great fighter to know he's done.

If he has to fight 1 more it should be a final fight for both he an Cowboy
Tony beat the fuck out of Cowboy just 2 years ago, they definitely won't make that rematch.

I think Tony deserves a chance against a lower level of competition to end his career on a W. He's obviously looked bad in his last 3 fights, but those 3 fights were against 3 of the top 5 LW's in the world. There's lots of fighters on the roster that he could still be competitive with. There's old guys like Jim Miller and Clay Guida, or fun matchups vs lower level guys like Lando, Marc Diakiese, John Makdessi, etc. that would make some sense for his final fight.

Lando "I felt great at 145. This is my division now and I want a top 15 opponent next"

Sherdog "Tony vs Lando 2 is the fight to make"

<mma4>

fergusson vs cerrone at 170. winner goes out on top, loser well......goes to bellator right?

Lando just went down to 145 and had success. I dont think he wants to go back up now again. Also Tony would die going to 145.

I see him doing very well at 145. I think he looks like one of the most comfortable fighters I ever seen in the cage.

The rematch that makes the most sense for Tony is Michael Johnson. Tony lost the first fight way back in 2012. Both guys are now on losing streaks. Unless Tony is completely shot, Johnson is a very winnable fight for him. Another good option for Tony is Johnson's most recent opponent, Clay Guida.

i dig it, these are the types of fights that Tony should be ending his career on. he's currently just gatekeeping, losing every round in the process

make it the main event of a fight night so we get 5 rounds

rematch kevin lee ?

he should not be fighting any elite grapplers AT ALL.
- left knee ligament tear tripping
- dariush just mangled the left knee again
- olviera destroyed the right elbow
- gaethje fractured his orbital.

all this in just the last few years.

They should have just fed Tony to Conor instead of using him to let Dariush lay'n'pray his way into the top 5.

Back