Translation Thread - What Charles really said

EricSpider

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It bothers me a lot when people can not feel the real power of fighters words because a lazy translation and that has been a rule when we talk about brazilian fighters. I really feel the UFC and the fighters should have a higher standard with the translation issue. Its bad for the product and its bad for theirs carreers as people will not relate to them as much as they really dont understand their emotion, but just some generic cold translation. So I'll try to do my best here to translate exactly what Charles said on the octagon interview and if you like it I can translate the post-fight press conference too later.

CHARLES: Thank you, really, thank you from heart. You said that I deserved this opportunity. I wanted to show that what you said was truth, I can, I am the best in this weight class.

ROGAN: Well, you show that tonight sir.

CHARLES: Hey Dana, believe in me, Im not just another one, you gave me a guy with 20 days in Tony, I did what you thought nobody thought I would do, I came there and did the opposite (here he did not express himself very well, just trying to say Dana and anybody thought he would do that to Tony). You brought here a monster from Bellator and I knocked him out, I told I was going to KO him, I just missed the round. 11 years ago I entered here and said I was a kid in the middle of the lions, today Im proving you and everybody that I am a lion in the middle of the lions. Michael, I respect you so much brother, you are a great champion but today is my day once more. Thank you Jesus, all the honor and glory for you. Favela (hood), once again we won! You can cry but cry from joy because it (shows the belt) is ours today!

ROGAN: Charles, It was an amazing fight, it was an amazing performance, but it was not without its difficulties. In the first round he had you hurt, how bad were you hurt?

CHARLES: See, we have a team union in Chute Boxe Diego Lima and Macaco Gold Team. It can rain stones, brother, because later when the stones come back you'll all lay down. Look, Michael told everytime I took pressure I would fold and I said this was over. He saw what happened, he hit, hit, hit but I bounced back. It was written, today was my time to shine, Jesus (kiss the belt) one more time is with me. Daughter, you asked for it and its here, daddy is bringing you (shows the belt).

ROGAN: Spetacular sir, congratulations, you are the new UFC LW champion of the world.

CHARLES: Thank you Houston, look, Im brazilian but this belt is all ours. I told I was a kid beetween lions, Im a favelado (person who came from the favela/ghetto) who won in life, thank you, never give up on your dreams! If you have faith it wiil happen, thank you!

Last edited:
I wouldn't shit on the translator too badly

That must be hard to translate in real-time

Yeah, its not my intention to shit on the translator and compared to others I dont think he is bad.

But let me translate this eminem lines for you: ''Dana already told it, he told it this week that he thought the winner of this fight would be the next contender. I showed it, Im here. Look, I dont care, in January when McGregor and Poirier fights, I'll be seated in the front line waiting to see who will come for me. You can come, but come here online because dad is ready''.

Yeah, its not my intention to shit on the translator and compared to others I dont think he is bad.

But let me translate this eminem lines for you: ''Dana already told it, he told it this week that he thought the winner of this fight would be the next contender. I showed it, Im here. Look, I dont care, in January when McGregor and Poirier fights, I'll be seated in the front line waiting to see who will come for me. You can come, but come here online because dad is ready''.
I'm extremely jealous of your ability to speak 2 languages

Awesome work on the translation. Thank you. Just speaks to how great of a guy Olives is and how his story mirrors that of Aldo in many ways.

Out of likes
so here is high five and a fist bump

tenor.gif

Thank You TS

i wholeheartedly agree, in fact one of the only threads i ever made was about the issue with not having decent translators.

I think the problem is the length of time the fighter speaks before each translation they should probably break it into smaller chunks so that the translator has the exact words still in their memory rather than trying to remember a long answer

I wouldn't shit on the translator too badly

That must be hard to translate in real-time

This. If I said a paragraph to you in English, you’d be hard pressed to repeat it verbatim on the spot; then imagine trying to do that while translating it into another language.

Thanks for the full translation though TS!

Yeah UFC doesn't exactly have NATO level translators but then again Charles speaks so fast he makes Tony sound like Droopey. It would probably take most people 5 minutes to say what Charles says in 30 seconds.

Nice work though TS

That one Asian chick that took notes on a little notebook for her translation was the GOAT. I've noticed that some of the Spanish translations are lacking too, tons of stuff left out or inaccurately translated sometimes. Good work TS. Dana, give TS the job already.

the usual portuguese translator (the younger guy) is better imo, he seems to try a lot more than this guy

the usual portuguese translator (the younger guy) is better imo, he seems to try a lot more than this guy
John Mayer ?
he started well but after a while he got lazy and started to censor a lot of what the fighters were saying

It bothers me a lot when people can not feel the real power of fighters words because a lazy translation and that has been a rule when we talk about brazilian fighters. I really feel the UFC and the fighters should have a higher standard with the translation issue. Its bad for the product and its bad for theirs carreers as people will not relate to them as much as they really dont understand their emotion, but just some generic cold translation. So I'll try to do my best here to translate exactly what Charles said on the octagon interview and if you like it I can translate the post-fight press conference too later.

CHARLES: Thank you, really, thank you from heart. You said that I deserved this opportunity. I wanted to show that what you said was truth, I can, I am the best in this weight class.

ROGAN: Well, you show that tonight sir.

CHARLES: Hey Dana, believe in me, Im not just another one, you gave me a guy with 20 days in Tony, I did what you thought nobody thought I would do, I came there and did the opposite (here he did not express himself very well, just trying to say Dana and anybody thought he would do that to Tony). You brought here a monster from Bellator and I knocked him out, I told I was going to KO him, I just missed the round. 11 years ago I entered here and said I was a kid in the middle of the lions, today Im proving you and everybody that I am a lion in the middle of the lions. Michael, I respect you so much brother, you are a great champion but today is my day once more. Thank you Jesus, all the honor and glory for you. Favela (hood), once again we won! You can cry but cry from joy because it (shows the belt) is ours today!

ROGAN: Charles, It was an amazing fight, it was an amazing performance, but it was not without its difficulties. In the first round he had you hurt, how bad were you hurt?

CHARLES: See, we have a team union in Chute Boxe Diego Lima and Macaco Gold Team. It can rain stones, brother, because later when the stones come back you'll all lay down. Look, Michael told everytime I took pressure I would fold and I said this was over. He saw what happened, he hit, hit, hit but I bounced back. It was written, today was my time to shine, Jesus (kiss the belt) one more time is with me. Daughter, you asked for it and its here, daddy is bringing you (shows the belt).

ROGAN: Spetacular sir, congratulations, you are the new UFC LW champion of the world.

CHARLES: Thank you Houston, look, Im brazilian but this belt is all ours. I told I was a kid beetween lions, Im a favelado (person who came from the favela/ghetto) who won in life, thank you, never give up on your dreams! If you have faith it wiil happen, thank you!

Appreciate it, wish more people would see this.

I think the problem is the length of time the fighter speaks before each translation they should probably break it into smaller chunks so that the translator has the exact words still in their memory rather than trying to remember a long answer
Yeah. This. I find it hilarious when fighter says what seems like 15 thoughts and translator says, "he thanks God and his family". When fighter talks for 2 minutes.

I used to do translation work for a speaker and getting 90-100% right is near impossible, unless you have a perfect photographic memory. You have to be quick and give summarised key points so the speaker does not lose their train of thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back