Tony had me thinking he was back to form. Then he got dominated again. I'm just sad.

WarFan90

I'm not a rat, I'm a turtle, a ninja turtle.
@purple
Reaction score
I can forgive the losses to gathje and oliviera, as far as I dont think losing to either should mean your not worthy of winning a title on any given night. This most recent loss brings a few things to mind for me.

Tony is officially on the decline. Losing to gathje/oliviera in their current forms could happen to anyone outside of maybe khabib. Prior to his loss to Dariush I might have argued he would win a rematch vs either.

Tony's ground game is tailor made vs only specific fighters. If your a good wrestler but not that active, or a bjj guy who doesn't have legit world class subs, tony will win the ground exchanges via higher output and scrambles.

Tony's output has dropped dramatically in the past few years. Also his elbows just dont seem to cut like they used to, if that's an angle or output or just better defense I'm not sure. Watching last night's fight I kept thinking one of those elbows from the bottom were going to slice dariush open but it just didn't happen.

Lastly I'm just sad that Tony will almost surely never get the undisputed title barring a run from here forward. One more loss probably sends him to bellator which I wouldn't even mind being that we may get to see some more of what made him so special vs a slightly lower level of competition.

What did other tony fans see am I missing something or is this really the end of tony as a top level contender.

Fyi I think dariush is great but hes not going to get a title either imo. Hes a top 5ish fighter and no one to overlook, but tony has been the boogeyman for so long this was surprising to me.

Its just sad, but thats mileage and aging for you.
Only thing that bothers me besides not seeing any more of his legendary performances, is that people will shit on him and will easily forget that he was top 2 fighter of that division for a really long time and was screwed over by the whole Conor situation. Just sad he never got the real belt.

I wonder if TRT will do wonders for him like it did for Vitor, although Tony doesn’t seem like the type that cheats

I'm ok with fighters not being champs or not being a perpetual contender as long as they win more than they lose.

The sad thing is not that he's past prime. That's natural and happens to anybody who sticks around long enough. The sad thing is he'll be in denial about it and maybe end up like JDS and Cowboy.

Its just sad, but thats mileage and aging for you.
Only thing that bothers me besides not seeing any more of his legendary performances, is that people will shit on him and will easily forget that he was top 2 fighter of that division for a really long time and was screwed over by the whole Conor situation. Just sad he never got the real belt.
I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, he had a great career, he is a legend, and everyone in MMA respects the shit out of him

It's up to him to leave gracefully and have the right outlook on the rest of his life

The sad thing is not that he's past prime. That's natural and happens to anybody who sticks around long enough. The sad thing is he'll be in denial about it and maybe end up like JDS and Cowboy.
It's crazy, in his mind he's gonna fight until he's 45 or something

Hope this was a reality check for him

Knowing Tony, he's already convinced himself he just needs some adjustment in his camp and he'll be back lol

Gaethje stole his soul. Almost all fighters that take the type beating Tony did in that fight are never the same. Tony was given what was supposed to be a winnable fight against Dariush and he get dominated yet again. Seriously Tony should retire his no quit attitude and the beatings he has taken is only going to come back and wreck him when he's in his 50's and 60's and can't even tie his shoe laces.

It's crazy, in his mind he's gonna fight until he's 45 or something

Hope this was a reality check for him

Knowing Tony, he's already convinced himself he just needs some adjustment in his camp and he'll be back lol
he's had 3 BAD losses in a row.

One more bad loss....and he'll probably get cut. I mean....he really is fighting for his job next time around.
Cowboy Cerrone gets a pass simply because he is long-time buddies with DAna. But next fight for him is probably his last one, as per Dana recent interview with Okamoto.

I'd give Tonny 1 more fight to see if he can turn it around....and if not...... then like the legedary Roberto Duran once famously said... "No mas".

he's had 3 BAD losses in a row.

One more bad loss....and he'll probably get cut. I mean....he really is fighting for his job next time around.
Cowboy Cerrone gets a pass simply because he is long-time buddies with DAna. But next fight for him is probably his last one, as per Dana recent interview with Okamoto.

I'd give Tonny 1 more fight to see if he can turn it around....and if not...... then like the legedary Roberto Duran once famously said... "No mas".
I hope they give him someone he actually has a chance against

Tony is an old stiff guy, who still could kill majority of people with bare hands. Unfortunatelly not good enough to fight professionally anymore at UFC.

Back