Rogaine scoffing at Andre Muniz’ BJJ over Jacare’s

IIRC Rogan did not say it was silly and was more implying that it was a very bold claim, given Jacare's undeniable status and long list of accomplishments in grappling and BJJ. I think Rogan concluded that segment by referring to the claim as 'shots fired'...he wasn't dismissing Muniz.

IIRC Rogan did not say it was silly and was more implying that it was a very bold claim, given Jacare's undeniable status and long list of accomplishments in grappling and BJJ. I think Rogan concluded that segment by referring to the claim as 'shots fired'...he wasn't dismissing Muniz.
<PlusJuan>

Just this

this…

This.
Also, lets be real, Jacare was a far more proven guy in BJJ and MMA grappling. Jacare was once considered pretty much the best there is, so even for Rogan to scoff would be understandable.
Muniz, though he obviously has skills, was nowhere near as accomplished. However, what we saw is that accomplishments does not always equal ability, especially with Jacare getting older.

Rogaine? You mean the hair growing medicine was scoffing at someone?

How can medicine even do that?

I blame Bill Gates and his microchip vaccines.

Not gonna get me.... got my tinfoil hat and camo gear on......

This. Some people here never graduated from HS and have trouble following a Brogan-level convo, apparently...

Well to be fair anyone familiar with both of them wouldn’t have seen the end result of this

Last edited:

Another spin doctor at work guys.

Jus flush em!

Lol classic Sherdog. Wtf is TS going on about.

It was more about Jacare's credentials and it works out better for Muniz when you talk about how good the other guy is. All of it true.

Nothing to see here folks.

before Jacare decided he was a brawler, it really was insane to picture anyone wanting to go to the ground with him. It was on line with you wouldn't expect, for an example, Tony Ferguson to grapple with Shinya Aoki. Sadly the Jacare fight was just another example of great fighters not using their best skillset to win fights. He should take a note from Glover.

Seems like new generation BJJ is a different game. More aggressive than previous generation and more transitional submissions. Just something I've noticed with top talent BJJ previously to top talent BJJ recently.

This.
Also, lets be real, Jacare was a far more proven guy in BJJ and MMA grappling. Jacare was once considered pretty much the best there is, so even for Rogan to scoff would be understandable.
Muniz, though he obviously has skills, was nowhere near as accomplished. However, what we saw is that accomplishments does not always equal ability, especially with Jacare getting older.

Well Muniz is no slouch in BJJ either he is a 3 degree black belt after all.
But yeah father times gets us all.

this. And even in spite of backing it up with a win via sub over Jacare, its still a very bold statement.

Seems like new generation BJJ is a different game. More aggressive than previous generation and more transitional submissions. Just something I've noticed with top talent BJJ previously to top talent BJJ recently.

Ultra aggressive BJJ fighters arent anything new to MMA, perhaps they fell out of fashion a little in the mid 2010's but Aoki, Palhares, etc were obviously around.

The big error a lot of analysis makes I would say is believing that physical ability doesnt matter with sub grappling, I mean with striking for example most would agree that losing speed/ability/chin with age is going to negatively effect someone but with BJJ theres much more the expectation someone like Jacare will carry on forever.

I actually tend to think the reverse, really aggerssive sub grappling is actually even more dependant on speed/agility than striking and indeed on sport BJJ/ADCC and there is more potential for rapid transitions/subs with the openings in MMA. This match is a perfect demonstration of that, a younger more agile guy wins with a rapid aggressive transition.

Todays Jacare is not the same guy who won ADCC/BJJ world champs, he's 41 years old, 17 years into a MMA career and nowhere near as fast/agile as he was.

Joe was giving Jacare the respect he is due. Most everyone knew what was going to happen so Joe gave Jacare a proper send off full of deserved praise and compliments. It was fitting given the moment.

Ultra aggressive BJJ fighters arent anything new to MMA, perhaps they fell out of fashion a little in the mid 2010's but Aoki, Palhares, etc were obviously around.

The big error a lot of analysis makes I would say is believing that physical ability doesnt matter with sub grappling, I mean with striking for example most would agree that losing speed/ability/chin with age is going to negatively effect someone but with BJJ theres much more the expectation someone like Jacare will carry on forever.

I actually tend to think the reverse, really aggerssive sub grappling is actually even more dependant on speed/agility than striking and indeed on sport BJJ/ADCC and there is more potential for rapid transitions/subs with the openings in MMA. This match is a perfect demonstration of that, a younger more agile guy wins with a rapid aggressive transition.

Todays Jacare is not the same guy who won ADCC/BJJ world champs, he's 41 years old, 17 years into a MMA career and nowhere near as fast/agile as he was.
I don't think it's just an age issue, I think it's more a tactic and technique issue. Jacare uses more traditional set ups compared to new breed BJJ players. I think it just deals more with the evolution of BJJ. If you aren't keeping up with it's evolution you will lose to the new breed. Same with mma's evolution.

I don't think it's just an age issue, I think it's more a tactic and technique issue. Jacare uses more traditional set ups compared to new breed BJJ players. I think it just deals more with the evolution of BJJ. If you aren't keeping up with it's evolution you will lose to the new breed. Same with mma's evolution.

Again I think you've fallen for ye old "evolution" hype that looks to ignore the decline of aging fighters and just focus on their being out evolved.

The last time I think Jacare showed truly impressive BJJ was vs Mousasi in 2014.

Again I think you've fallen for ye old "evolution" hype that looks to ignore the decline of aging fighters and just focus on their being out evolved.
I'm focusing on BJJ as a whole, I'm not just looking at Jacare. If you think BJJ hasn't evolved then you are probably behind as well. I see a big difference between BJJ styles from new breed vs old breed.

Back