Did Oliveira and Dariush let go of their submission against Tony on purpose?

Misanthropist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
l think Oliveira and Dariush went soft with their submission in purpose because they didn’t want to injure Tony. You can see how Dariush had a “fuck it” look and let go when Tony was in pain and heard his knee popped but refuse to tap. He was lucky that it wasn’t Palhares.

Oliveira did the same thing by not raising his lower back when he arm locked Tony because he saw how stubborn he was and didn’t want to break his arm.

Thoughts?

On purpose? Not really. But something human in then caused them to slack a little bit too much and give Tony room to escape.

Tony kicked the fuck out of Benny’s hands to break the grip

Oliveira turned his arm all sorts of ways and he still didn’t tap. At some point you gotta stop twisting and move on. Arm was fucked regardless, the fight is basically won at that point even if he doesn’t tap

I think Oliveira's armbar was stopped coz it was the end of the round and he ran out of time. While Dariush said he heard Tony's leg pop and knew that it's messed up, and no reason for him to force it coz he was winning the fight handily anyways.

Yea MMA fighters always let go of submissions because they have feels for their opponents. There’s really nothing like having a locked in submission then letting go and getting your nose broken, it’s awesome, you should totally try it!

No, I don’t think your hypothesis holds water.

Dariush popped his knee.

Oliveira arched.

c45a7-16079344958162-800.jpg

Oliveira did everything right then let go fast at the bell, as we hope and expect from sportsmen.

Oliviera stopped because the round was over

The round ended when Charles had him in the arm bar.

I think Dariush figured he wouldn't get the finish. Tony's defense on that leg lock was puzzling though. He looked lost and like he didn't have any idea on how to defend

Yea MMA fighters always let go of submissions because they have feels for their opponents. There’s really nothing like having a locked in submission then letting go and getting your nose broken, it’s awesome, you should totally try it!

Dariush said it himself....

I feel like both Charles and Beniel cranked as hard as they could w/o compromising the position they were in.

Dariush cranked so hard the leg started to straighten out, creating a path for Tony to eventually get out injured or not. Same with Charles’s armbar, he cranked with proper alignment and even “swam” the arm (placing under arm pit) and cranked again, thats about as deep as you can go on that.

No Tony escaped. But he was literally screaming because of the pain, he's going to be one of the fighters most affected later in his life

No. They thought he would tap. But the crazy son of a bitch just didn’t. Nobody took it easy on anybody.

Tony's leg was done.
He couldn't move properly in the third.
Dariush could've gotten a highlight reel knockout on him, but choose to stick to the gameplan.

Tony Ferguson is one tough SOB.
Yep, no one denies that. Quintessential “too tough for his own good” probably.

Still, if he fought a few more times in barn burners against non top 5 competition, he could still earn a lot. Nick Diaz at WW would be perfect. Or Miller, Guida, etc. The Senior Circuit lol

Sadly, the biggest favour they both could’ve done long term would’ve been to break his arm, or rip his knee apart. Then he’d be forced to retire. Tony is too tough for his own good and needs someone else to make the call on his retirement.

Also, arm bars and leg locks aren’t like a choke. If you release a choke, your opponent will recover from fully, and immediately. With the two subs on Tony, the damage was already done. Oliveira and Dariush knew after their sub attempts that Tony was done and the rest of the fight would be easy for them.

No I don’t think either of them did. The only reason his arm wasn’t hanging uselessly by side in the Olivera fight was because the round ended. When Charles tucked underneath his armpit he had every intention of snapping it.

No, I don’t think your hypothesis holds water.

Dariush popped his knee.

Oliveira arched.

c45a7-16079344958162-800.jpg

Oliveira did everything right then let go fast at the bell, as we hope and expect from sportsmen.

Yeah Tony was just saved by the bell. Jesus that looks nasty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back