Media Oliviera: "I still feel like a Featherweight. I'd definitely go back down if given the opportunity"

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Charles eyeing champ-champ status in the future

5:40

John Morgan: Now that you're the Lightweight champion can we get you to admit that you're not a Featherweight?

Charles Oliviera: Me and coach talk alot about this. I still feel like a Featherweight but i had to come to this division. If Dana White gives me the opportunity to go back down to the Featherweight division and win, i'd take it.

200.gif

He wasn't in the best of shape or health back in FW.
It seems like he was forced back up to Lightweight due to him repeatedly missing weight. Excellent move. Dude looked super dehydrated in that division which affected his performances. Atleast cardio wise.

That was a mistranslation. What he really said was ''I asked it a lot, I told Macaco that I wanted to go back again to FW, but I dont want it anymore. Im a LW, Im really a LW, not just because Im the champion today. But if they give me the opportunity to fight for the belt, I would go down, if Dana gives me the opportunitty to fight directly for the FW belt, Im going down.''

Later I will be making a thread translating his in cage post fight speech and this post fight press because the translator was not great.

Sometimes I feel I could legitimately be an MMA reporter. Some of the questions they ask are incredibly stupid, the bar is very low.
I say go for it. I mean that’s a freaking weird ass question. Why would lightweight champion determine that? A scale determined that. If he wanted to ask if he just feels healthier and able to compete better at lw vs ftw (again still weird) then I guess that would be ok. It seems like he’s challenging. Did he ask Chandler now that he’s lost should he maybe try fw?

He would obliterate Volk.
But Holloway would be a banger, it would come down to whether Charles could implement the same intense level of grappling having cut the extra weight. If he can then he taps Max out or at the very least controls him with lots of ride time.

That was a mistranslation. What he really said was ''I asked it a lot, I told Macaco that I wanted to go back again to FW, but I dont want it anymore. Im a LW, Im really a LW, not just because Im the champion today. But if they give me the opportunity to fight for the belt, I would go down, if Dana gives me the opportunitty to fight directly for the FW belt, Im going down.''

Later I will be making a thread translating his in cage post fight speech and this post fight press because the translator was not great.
Thanks. What a shitty translator then. Seriously, what you just said is a whole different thing. I get it must be hard to translate in the octagon with the fans cheering and emotions are running high, but in the presser?

Cmon man

Reactions: lsa
I swear he says that after every single win. At this point It'd be surprising if he doesn't.

Catchweight at 150? Make Volkswagen come up to 155? Does this dude want to get TJ'ed by cutting too much weight and getting spanked by the smaller fighter?

My man you are not a featherweight but I understand the mentality

Thanks. What a shitty translator then. Seriously, what you just said is a whole different thing. I get it must be hard to translate in the octagon with the fans cheering and emotions are running high, but in the presser?

Cmon man

Yeah, he really messed up this line. He is not that bad in comparision with some others awful translators used by UFC in the past, in the majority he translates the main ideia right but dont repeat it with the same exact words. But in this answer he really took the wrong way as what Charles said was much more close to ''I feel like a LW now but would go down for the belt'' than ''I still feel like a FW''.

He would obliterate Volk.
But Holloway would be a banger, it would come down to whether Charles could implement the same intense level of grappling having cut the extra weight. If he can then he taps Max out or at the very least controls him with lots of ride time.
Nobody can beat Volk. Even Max failed twice and he's levels above any of the other contenders in that weight class.
As for Charles, he should stay at lw and defend it a few times. He's got the hardest belt to defend after all.

He LITERALLY said that if given the chance to fight straight for the FW belt, he would do it, BUT before that he said categorically that today he is a LW, NOT a FW. He clearly said that he DOESN´T WANT to fight as a FW anymore.
That translator did quite a good job until this press conference. His translation of the next question was also shit (the dude asked Charles of his opinion of Chandler's skill and strength on the mat, but he translated whatever crap came to his mind).

Back