Michael Chandler opens up about UFC 262 loss: 'I am still world-class

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

HOUSTON – In the wake of his UFC 262 knockout loss, Michael Chandler thinks the difficult result is the next chapter of a bigger story.

In Saturday’s main event, Chandler (22-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC) was knocked out by Charles Oliveira in Round 2 of their vacant lightweight title bout. Shortly after the result, Chandler reflected on the loss.

“I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be. I do,” Chandler said. “… I just felt like I was in the right moment. A smile was on my face again. I feel like I’m fighting on borrowed time still. There were moments in my career where I’d never thought I’d end up here. I never thought the door would open and now it has. The first one was the highest of highs.”

Knowing that he lost to such a top-tier competitor makes the loss sting a little less. But more importantly, Chandler recognizes that, like his other defeats, he will learn and move on.

“This one, it’s not the lowest of lows, because Charles Oliveira is world-class,” Chandler said. “Fighting for a UFC title is a world-class opportunity. But as my son knows, every young man falls, but every young man gets back up. The sun will rise tomorrow. When I fly home without the belt, we’ve got some explaining to do – but we’re going to figure it out.”

The fight only lasted one full round, plus the 19 seconds it took Oliveira to drop and finish Chandler in Round 2. In the opening five minutes, Chandler had Oliveira in a compromising position and nearly finished the fight. It’s a game of inches, Chandler reflected.

“It’s the fight game, man,” Chandler said. “It’s 4-ounce gloves. You zig when you should have zagged and before you know it, Charles Oliveira is getting the belt wrapped around his waist instead of yours. Here we are. I’ve been here before, after losses. This sport moves quickly. I am still world-class. Anybody next to get me into line for the title again, I believe I can beat them and beat anybody in the top five so we’ll see what happens.”

With the loss, Chandler’s three-fight winning streak was snapped. The defeat marked the third time Chandler was stopped with strikes in his professional career.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...ent-world-class/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Bruce Buffer: "Aaaaaaaand stiliiil my boiiiiiii"

AntiqueCreepyAtlanticblackgoby-size_restricted.gif

HOUSTON – In the wake of his UFC 262 knockout loss, Michael Chandler thinks the difficult result is the next chapter of a bigger story.

In Saturday’s main event, Chandler (22-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC) was knocked out by Charles Oliveira in Round 2 of their vacant lightweight title bout. Shortly after the result, Chandler reflected on the loss.

“I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be. I do,” Chandler said. “… I just felt like I was in the right moment. A smile was on my face again. I feel like I’m fighting on borrowed time still. There were moments in my career where I’d never thought I’d end up here. I never thought the door would open and now it has. The first one was the highest of highs.”

Knowing that he lost to such a top-tier competitor makes the loss sting a little less. But more importantly, Chandler recognizes that, like his other defeats, he will learn and move on.

“This one, it’s not the lowest of lows, because Charles Oliveira is world-class,” Chandler said. “Fighting for a UFC title is a world-class opportunity. But as my son knows, every young man falls, but every young man gets back up. The sun will rise tomorrow. When I fly home without the belt, we’ve got some explaining to do – but we’re going to figure it out.”

The fight only lasted one full round, plus the 19 seconds it took Oliveira to drop and finish Chandler in Round 2. In the opening five minutes, Chandler had Oliveira in a compromising position and nearly finished the fight. It’s a game of inches, Chandler reflected.

“It’s the fight game, man,” Chandler said. “It’s 4-ounce gloves. You zig when you should have zagged and before you know it, Charles Oliveira is getting the belt wrapped around his waist instead of yours. Here we are. I’ve been here before, after losses. This sport moves quickly. I am still world-class. Anybody next to get me into line for the title again, I believe I can beat them and beat anybody in the top five so we’ll see what happens.”

With the loss, Chandler’s three-fight winning streak was snapped. The defeat marked the third time Chandler was stopped with strikes in his professional career.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...ent-world-class/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I agree he is, but he's middle of the pack. He can beat 6-8, he can't beat 1-3.

Maybe oliveira woul be the only exception if they rematched, it was a close fight but other than that, I don't think he beats dustin, I dont' think he beats gaethje, and I don't think he beats conor, yes conor. Oliveira made chandler gas. Chandler doesn't pace himself well and throws everything with mean intentions. Bouncing on his feet alot, using a lot of energy.

Maybe oliveira woul be the only exception if they rematched, it was a close fight but other than that, I don't think he beats dustin, I dont' think he beats gaethje, and I don't think he beats conor, yes conor. Oliveira made chandler gas. Chandler doesn't pace himself well and throws everything with mean intentions. Bouncing on his feet alot, using a lot of energy.
I think he starches Dustin to be honest

I think he starches Dustin to be honest
Nah, Chandler is rudimentary on the feet. People don't want to believe this. He has power, that's it but he moves in straight lines, forwards and backwards, never off to the side. his defense sucks and he's 35.

Look at that exchange. he really had nothing and was winging shots. He caught oliveira. Fair play to him, but if Oliveira had better defense, he doesn't get hit there.This is while Chandler's still fresh. Go to the second round, if he's gassed, you won't see him bouncing around like that, his head movement stops.

I think Dustin does a better job of maximizing on when he has someone hurt more than anyone in the LW division.

Chandler has a puncher's chance. That's it.

Last edited:
He’s gotta evolve and round out his game more, develop More tools and improve fight iq to beat the top guys not named Conor. He’s easier.

I mean based on Charles being the sitting champion, and he was fairly close to a potential finish on him. Yeah i'd say it's safe to say Chandler is indeed world class.

Well he's a top-10 LW for sure. That's as world class as it gets, if you ask me.

He was very humble. I hope he can beat a top 5 fighter next and earn a rematch, or a TS. Depending who holds the belt. The man has class, and I appreciate that.

He’s defo top 3/5 he starched Hooker and the fight last night could’ve went either way both came very close to winning

Back