Better paper champ, Jan or Charles?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know a lot of people tend to dismiss Jan a bit, but the guy just beat Israel Adesanya ffs, it's a tough call but I'm really happy for both guys.

Not even going to consider Sterling in this conversation, he is even less than a paper champ. He beat an already paper champ by bitching out and faking in injury to get a disqualification.

Last edited:
Let's see how Charles does vs the next few guys. If he can beat Dustin/Conor, Gaethje and then Dariush that's pretty impressive

Paper how?

both former champs walked away - so they are legit.
Obviously they're legit, but I think that's what paper champ means by definition no? Holding the title, but not winning it from the previous champ.

good lord just stfu haha

Charles just won and you incels keep making pointless threads holy sh*t you guys are idiots

Obviously they're legit, but I think that's what paper champ means by definition no? Holding the title, but not winning it from the previous champ.

How is it their fault that both former champs vamoosed? Hardly makes them paper champs.

Jan already proved he deserved shitle tot.

How is it their fault that both former champs vamoosed? Hardly makes them paper champs.
Being a paper champ does not make it "their fault". Where fault lies is not defining criteria of a paper champ. A paper champ is simply someone who is not the best in their division, and/or did not beat the previous champion.

In the case of guys like Aljo, that could be said to be "their fault" for being a paper champ, but for most paper champs they are the product of circumstances.

I think Jan is clearly the best in his division with Jones gone, and since Jones arguably lost to Reyes (and to a lesser degree even Santos), I dont consider Jan a paper champ.

Oliviera could very well beat Khabib, but given Khabib's utter dominance, it is assumed that Oliviera is only champ because of Khabib's absence, not because he is the best.

Jan has been dominant lately.

Oliveira got beat up for a round and was getting beat by Kevin Lee.

Oliveira is a good fighter, but I think both Dustin and Justin beat him. Conor it's hard to say.
Still that’s bs. Regardless of who might beat him he won. He took everything Chandler had and still won. I think he grinds gaethje and ko’s Poirer. He’s not the same Olives that lost previously. He proved this

OJUugwB.png

Petr Yan is the most papery of all paper champs.

He beat 41 year old Urijah Faber, then fought Jose Aldo (0-1 at bantamweight) for the vacant title.

Neither are a paper champ.

Sterling is a paper champ. Jan and Oliveira simply fought for vacant belts.

In fact, it's easy to argue that Khabib was more of a paper champ than either Jan or Charles based on his vacant win over Iaquinta, initially at least.

Back