The Problem with Oliveira

Epicman1324

PED Test = DQ from GOAT discussions
@Green
Reaction score
Lack of head movement. Charles does pretty much everything well except for his defense. He has the length to prevent himself from getting hit TOO often, but better guys can tag him, and that's not really a trait you want to bring into a fight against a guy with power like Chandler. Whether Olives has fixed his heart issue or not, getting hit flush and knocked out cold has nothing to do with heart.

Another thing is that Oliveira's best shot is to get this fight to the ground. While Oliveira has demonstrated very good strength in the past, you could argue that Chandler's strength and MMA wrestling is the best or close to the best out of Charles' most recent streak.

All that being said, I can't say this is any more than a 55/45 fight for Chandler in my opinion. Oliveira is incredibly dangerous on both the feet and ground. But I favor Chandler due to the aforementioned lack of defense by Oliveira, as well as the trouble that Charles may have with getting Chandler to the ground.

This is an amazing matchup, and probably the most evenly matched LW title fight since the Edgar/Maynard fights.

But I'm going with Iron Mike Chandler via Dana White Privilege (KO 1)

Agreed,
It doesn’t help that he doesn’t like getting hit either. He’s folded multiple times after feeling a shot he doesn’t like.

I’m looking forward to this fight. I hope I can find a link that works tonight.

If Mike can easily slam Bendo with a suplex then it'd be easier to do the same thing to Charles.
f6yVcyJ.gif

Oliveira gotta use the reach, elbows from clinch and knees. Fight a JJ s style point fight to keep midget Chandler at bay. I dont think he should try grappling unless provided an opportunity. He will get tagged by big punchs id he goes for tds.

Im sticking with my standing back-take from Charles. He wont be able to ground Iron Mike and would be best to clinch and take the back with his long limbs while standing.

Or just freely strike with kicks/knees and invite the TD from Mike and be waiting for the front headlock choke variations.

Mike has to KO Charles or wear him the fuck out and break him mentally/physically.

Yes. We all watch The Weasel, so we know Charles has no head movement.

The problem that Chandler gives people is he's got a deceptively long reach. He's shorter but he's got a long reach at 71" Taller guys like Hooker among others stay on the outside and don't gauge the timing right cause of this. They see him on the outside and don't expect the punch to reach em that fast.

I don't know if he will catch Charles though. While I do agree with TS that Charles doesn't move his head too much, he's got that high guard, he's more about footwork. He tends to get hit in counter scenarios and not so much by lead punches. He's got very good footwork and I think once he gets the timing on Chandler he will be able to see the power shots coming. Chandler will be very dangerous early.

Another thought, I don't think Chandler will want to play the ground game here. But if he can get Olivera thinking about the takedown that will open up the power shot up top. That will be a bit factor, how well Chandler can force Olivera to think about the takedown.

All great points still taking Da Bronx... <LucyBless>

Chuck grew up in the UFC and been paying dues here a long time. Charles wins the stand up and Chandler chooses to shoot for the TD and ends up another stat on the subs record.

Olivera's striking is better now since he started working with Chute Boxe. He doesn't have crazy head movement but he does slip and change levels. Olivera's striking is better than people assume it to be and he uses it well with his grappling strengths. When he gets too close he clinches and goes for takedowns, when people grab a leg or shoot for takedowns he goes for submissions.

Chandler will most likely focus on trying to beat him on the feet and try to go for KO/TKO and use an anti-grappling game. Grappling with Olivera is too dangerous and risky.

Just don't pretend that Chandler has boxing level head movement like Max Holloway, okay.

Back