Do you guys think Jones can have cardio issue in HW

ehxsur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I mean he is bulking a lot actually, he never fought or even lived with that mass on him

its almost impossible for him to have the same durability than in LHW

In LHW he already had no KO power and usually won close decision in the last two rounds (r4 and 5) because he can manage his energy better than the opponent who often gas at that time and steal decisions

Maybe the next opponent should just play Jones game, by letting him gas during the first rounds then pick him apart, maybe thats why Patient Ngannou could be the worst match up for Jones

Last edited:
He’s a pretty patient fighter and he’s never really had gas tank issues. I only see it happening if Jon goes all in on takedowns early but can’t finish them.

1. He is not fighting at HW.
2. Probably not with his extremely safe, low volume fighting style.

Also in HW waiting for another fighter to gas... that happened like 1 time ever with Ngannou-Stipe 1. Carwin gassed himself trying to finish Brock, but I don't think that counts as bait (of course if Cruz was a commenter, we would've noted that Lesnar is letting Carwin gas by eating punches with his face).

It makes a difference, he will have to get used to the extra weight. He'll be slower in everything he does until he gets used to the extra weight and his cardio will definitely be affected. It's like doing everything with a weighted vest, it will burn you out quicker until your body adjusts to the extra weight. You won't be as fast at first because the extra weight will slow down all of the techniques and movement. You can build the speed back up, but that's only when your body gets used to the weight and you can start focusing on speed again.

Best example of this is Conor. Compare him from FW to WW, speed and movement difference. His cardio issues were more noticeable in higher weight classes compared to when he was fighting at FW.

Not really. He will fight even safer than his lasts bouts at LHW. Keep opponents at distance, jab, jab, low kick, jab. and repeat.
Against Ngannou its a different story because I expect Francis to come rushing in at times, which will propably leed to Jones running away lol.

Yes not only the weight gain but the training to gain size plus he’s known for only really doing cardio in camp and his camps have been few and far between in recent years.

As others have said it likely won’t matter against Ngannou as he will be stopped before cardio becomes a factor.

Im a competition bjj guy. In the last 3 years i bulked up to 240.from around 190. Not all Natty lol. I can definitely attest to the fact that the cardio will be the first thing to take a hit. But as you start to learn how to operate athleyicallyt as a heavy (when to explode, when to rest when you have position, not gripping too hard unless you are certain in your next move,) and the cardio that just comes with training bjj at least 4 days week, plus weights plus dedicated cardio... you can get it back. So much of it is mental too. Only in the last 2 months have i been able to finally roll inumerable 8 minute rounds withiut that voice in my head telling me to gas tap.

If hes using the right "supplementation" and i have to beliece he is considering his SnC coach, he could have out of this world cardio. Some compounds will noticably imorove it (like cardarine) some will destroy it (19nnors)

Jones knows all od tnis, plus he has his brothers for yet more resources.

I still think someone who is a natural HW (ngannou) will have the edge in cardio tho: Jons muscles have growm bigger recenrlt, but Frank dare i say was born that way, so all the mechanisms for oxygen delivery (veins, arteries, capilaries, lungs, diaphragm, heart, bigger bones and more RBCs, more) have grown commensurate with his body. Not sure the exact physiology of it, but i believe that to be true. Plus Francis, while definitely jacked, is not just a HW because of his muscle mass, but his bone structure, density, fascias

Probably will still be better than Francis and BB. He may also gain KO power. He was pretty skinny at LHW, most guys with KO power there had more muscle mass.

Chin issues, Jon needs to be like a liberal in Texas to win this match. If Jones can last 2-3 rounds, I believe he can do it, Francis has to pace himself like a mother fucker to hold the title.

Dana can’t afford this matchup

if he fights smart and takes the right EA's he will have good cardio. But since he got caught twice, probably the guy taking care of that part in his team is not so good?

Francis would murder him in every scenario.
Cardio or no cardio, after a good right M. Jones is going to sleep, for a long time.
Crazy how you could have some many credentials and still be a crying baby.

Given the poor cardio generally associated with the HW division it’s borderline unthinkable that Jones would gas versus any of them.

I mean who is thought of as a cardio machine at HW? I can’t think of a single one in the top ten..

Jones has been moving up to HW for past decade. More chance of the guy retiring than actually competing at this point

If he does a lot of grappling it could ....but I still see his gas tank as being better then his opponent.....Stipe has a good gas tank as well

Back