John Danaher explaining how GSP created the modern fighter

I refuse to waste 10 min for yet another aggrandizing self-service piece for Mardi GraSP (Ans Danaher himself by association).

The Cult of Personality of Mardi is so fucking ridiculous it huerts.

GSP also gave us Jean-Charles. The drunk, cigarette smoking French Thai boxer. Jean-Charles proceeded to beat the shit out of the cast like he was out for a smoke break.

One of TVs greatest moments.

maxresdefault.jpg

I was having trouble sleeping tonight, so thanks for the Danaher video. I will be enlightened and calmed down.
IIIIIII

To be fair I think Ricardo Arona would have a good claim of having "invented" that kind of fighting, hanging back behind lowkicks and then exploding forward with a double/single when someone tries to exchange with him.

George did I think take it to a higher level by having a much more rounded striking game than Arona.

To be fair I think Ricardo Arona would have a good claim of having "invented" that kind of fighting, hanging back behind lowkicks and then exploding forward with a double/single when someone tries to exchange with him.

George did I think take it to a higher level by having a much more rounded striking game than Arona.
Arona s takedowns were just awesome
Skip to 1:53

Arona s takedowns were just awesome
Skip to 1:53

The impressive thing is Arona had that style worked out almost from debut in RINGS, didnt really change that much as a fighter afterwards beyond being able to use GnP to the head in Pride.

There is again I think a simulairty there, they bait opponents from range and their skill is timing their response, when an opponent moves forward to exchange then are able to counter with a takedown and catch them off balance.

Both used single legs a good bit, Arona more trips were as GSP more power double legs. Guys like Hendo and Kos would probably have beaten them in pure wrestling matches but in MMA that timing made all the difference, even a great wrestler caught off balance is vunerable.

The impressive thing is Arona had that style worked out almost from debut in RINGS, didnt really change that much as a fighter afterwards beyond being able to use GnP to the head in Pride.

There is again I think a simulairty there, they bait opponents from range and their skill is timing their response, when an opponent moves forward to exchange then are able to counter with a takedown and catch them off balance.

Both used single legs a good bit, Arona more trips were as GSP more power double legs. Guys like Hendo and Kos would probably have beaten them in pure wrestling matches but in MMA that timing made all the difference, even a great wrestler caught off balance is vunerable.
I agree

I refuse to waste 10 min for yet another aggrandizing self-service piece for Mardi GraSP (Ans Danaher himself by association).

The Cult of Personality of Mardi is so fucking ridiculous it huerts.

Back