Marvin Vettori: Adesanya is ‘pretty useless’ once on the mat.

B-Level

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
“With Jan, the last time he got taken down, he kind of quit,” Vettori said. “He was just laying there. Adesanya, when it comes to the middle of the cage, when he’s taken down in the middle of the cage and he doesn’t have the cage, he’s pretty useless on the floor to be honest. Kevin Holland is a better jiu-jitsu player than Adesanya for sure. Even when Adesanya said, and I made fun of it because even after the Blachowicz fight he was like, ‘I was trying to go for deep half.’

“I’m like, what the f**k are you talking about. There was no attempt to go to deep half. That shows you don’t know what deep half is, and I know exactly what deep half is, because I’ve been training with (Fabricio) Werdum. I actually used deep half in my Roberson fight. I used it successfully. His game and the way he fights, because he scrambles hard the moment you try to take him down next to the cage, but yeah definitely when he’s down, he’s pretty useless to be honest.”

Vettori is pretty spot on here. His lack of ability to defend TDs or stand up in the final 3 rounds of the Jan fight was foreshadowing what’s to come with this fight. Plus the fact that Vettori already knows he can take him down and control him like round 3 of their first fight, when Marvin was only 24 years old and very green. We are going to have a new MW champion on June 12th. Marvin wins a UD 48-47 or possibly 49-46.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mmajun...calls-israel-adesanya-useless-ground-game/amp

Your stand-up is useless
AcidicQuarterlyAmericanshorthair-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/compilation-of-fighters-cage-weight-redux.3977251/

Vet is only behind Costa and above Homero for biggest weight cutter at MW. Shorter and less rangy than Blach, of course, but the amount of meat on them might be close.
Vettori weighed in as heavy as 211 pounds and Blachowicz i assume is probably around 225, if not higher.

Considering both are about the same body fat percentage, that makes Jan about 10-15+ pounds of pure lean mass heavier, which is quite a bit.

Also, Blachowicz has significantly better stand up and just like wrestling helps with striking, the opposite is true too.

I just think the overall narrative some people cling to about Izzy having allegedly been exposed by Jan is ridiculous.
Striker goes up a weightclass and fights a superior grappler who has 20 if not more pounds on him and doesn't defend all takedowns/gets held down for a while...

I mean in other news water is wet, you know what i mean?

Vettori weighed in as heavy as 211 pounds and Blachowicz i assume is probably around 225, if not higher.

Considering both are about the same body fat percentage, that makes Jan about 10-15+ pounds of pure lean mass heavier, which is quite a bit.

Also, Blachowicz has significantly better stand up and just like wrestling helps with striking, the opposite is true too.

I just think the overall narrative some people cling to about Izzy having allegedly been exposed by Jan is ridiculous.
Striker goes up a weightclass and fights a superior grappler who has 20 if not more pounds on him and doesn't defend all takedowns/gets held down for a while...

I mean in other news water is wet, you know what i mean?

While Balchowicz is most likely bigger than Vettori. Vettori is probably the better grappler between the two.

I think if Vettori were to fight Izzy again, it would be a grind fest for sure

At 185, Izzy's TDD is stellar and proven. Jan is much bigger than Vettori and has better timing and striking defense which helped him immensely against Adesanya. If Martin thinks he's going to take Izzy down as effortlessly as he did Holland he is going to be in for a rude awakening.

Even against the cage Vettori can pull off those direction change takedowns (dont know the technical term) and rip Izzy off the cage he might find success there too.

Im rooting for Marvin but dont think itll be an easy fight

Back