Change my mind: Barboza vs Burgos will look like Barboza vs Hooker

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Look at Burgos’ style. He likes to slowly pressure by marching face-first into his opponent while moving his head all over the place.
EllipticalCompetentCopperhead-size_restricted.gif

Now look at Hooker’s approach to fighting Barboza. He tried to pressure Barboza, but it wasn’t frantic pressure which is typically what Barboza struggles with. Hooker used a slow pressure that involved marching down Barboza face-first.
AcclaimedFluidGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_pp6kps4N4f1r7vh24o2_540.gifv

Both Hooker and Burgos take a ton of damage when pressuring, especially to the body.

I see Barboza vs Burgos looking very similar to Barboza vs Hooker.

I would love to see Barboza win. Barboza is one of those highly skilled fighters that never managed to get a title shot. I hope he can achieve that goal before retiring.

Last edited:
Burgos throws a lot more than Hooker does and has faster hands, so that could make things interesting.

I would love to see Barboza win. Barboza is one of those highly skilled fighters that never managed to get a title shot. I hope we can achieve that goal before retiring.
I have been a Barboza fan for quite some time, but a title shot aint happening...ever.

It's possible. Emmett and Swanson, who Burgos lost to, both kind of have that striking feel to them that Barboza also possesses. But I think Burgos is more game and will be eager to prove himself after the last loss.

This is the most interesting fight on the card for me.

Burgos stands his ground better than Hooker and uses pressure more effectively. Hooker tends to move forward without the same level of intensity. Hooker however is more accurate from long range. They are very different fighters

Would love for Barboza to put on another clinic but his cardio weakness is a concern in this matchup. Burgos pressure is next level. He's got that Ferguson/Holloway cardio and output and a great chin.

It basically becomes about: can Barboza put enough of a beating on this guy that he slows down due to damage (like he did to Hooker and Gaethje did to Ferg)? Or can Burgos avoid taking too much damage early on and overwhelm Edson in the latter half of the fight? (like Ferg did to Edson)

It's about 50/50 imo

It's possible. Emmett and Swanson, who Burgos lost to, both kind of have that striking feel to them that Barboza also possesses. But I think Burgos is more game and will be eager to prove himself after the last loss.

This is the most interesting fight on the card for me.
Burgos beat Swanson, so you might be thinking of Kattar, whom is the only fighter to ever stop Shane.

I have been a Barboza fan for quite some time, but a title shot aint happening...ever.
I disagree, we’ve seen veterans flourish in the later parts of their careers on many occasions. Barboza is 3 good wins away from a title shot. It’s achievable.

Burgos beat Swanson, so you might be thinking of Kattar, whom is the only fighter to ever stop Shane.
Does anyone remember this fight? I saw the card but can’t remember much from it. It was a split. Some media had Swanson winning

Looking like it. Burgos is tough and big as hell for the devision but definitely lacks technically. I still think he has a decent shot tho, but he gonna take a shit ton win or lose.

I have a strange feeling this fight won’t happen. Hope I’m wrong

Hooker fights long at kickboxing range, isn't a pressure fighter, has average output and shit cardio.

Burgos does nothing but pressure, fights at boxing range, and has the most output in his entire division and insane cardio.

The only similarity I see between Burgos and hooker is that they're both hittable.

I got Burgos, especially if it makes it past round one.

I hope you are correct, however I see Burgos has some dangerous hands, is a big FW, and has long reach. He could very well clip Boza and send him reeling, which we have seen in the past.

Im hoping for a typical kicking clinic from my boy though.

Does anyone remember this fight? I saw the card but can’t remember much from it. It was a split. Some media had Swanson winning
I do.

Am a big fan of both.

Rd 1 was extremely close and tough to score although no way was it a drawn round you either preferred Burgos work or Cubs, round 3 was also close(ish) but fairly clearly a 10-9 round to Shane.
Round 2 was very very obviously Burgos’ round, not to the extent it could have ever been 10-8 but as solid a 10-9 as you can get.

I scored it 30-27 Burgos but wouldn’t argue with 29-28 Burgos either.
Every single person I spoke with at the time had Burgos winning.
One judge scored all three rounds to Cub. I question whether he got the fighters mixed up with one another as round 2 was so obviously Burgos’.

I hope so. Barboza would be a bad matchup for the champ and there's no doubt in my mind he'd stomp on Ortega. If he stays clear of Max he should have a good run in the FW division.

Just stay the hell away from Max.

Back