The day Gastelum’s chin gets cracked is the day his career ends

Yep, he can't take much more punishment from these larger men. If he got in real shape and fought at Welterweight, he'd make so much more money and prolong his career. He's going to get badly KO'd several times at MW over the next few years, which is crazy considering he'd be renown for a GOAT tier chin at WW. It's a miracle he didn't get KO'd by those flying knees in the Ian Heinisch fight.

Was the exact same for Weidman. As soon as he couldn't block punches with his face, he was no longer elite. He did try to improve, and he did look good for the Jacare fight. But it was way too late and too many punches adsorbed.

he would probably be less sucessful as a WW, he does well at MW because of his fast hands,

When his chin eventually gets cracked, expect a massive skid and downfall of Gastelum. At this point, dude gets praised for his ability to eat punches more than his skills.
The day [insert name] chin gets cracked is the day his career ends

TS is exaggerating a bit. It really does feel/seem like Kelvin is on the decline. But man, it's not like Whitaker wasn't looking sharp af for that fight.

It's like that for most fighters. Chuck, Wanderlei, Shogun, Anderson, JDS, Cerrone...etc. The list goes on, any fighter that relies on their chin as a large part of their defense goes this way. Very rare for someone to keep that in tact for their whole career.

As for Kelvin, unfortunately I think the day he can no longer take a punch like he has been is coming up soon. Dude has taken massive damage since the Izzy fight.

He looked so slow and predictable vs Whitaker.
Yeah. But was that because he was, or because Whittaker was levels ahead? Either way OP is correct. He's gonna end up like JDS.

Kelvin is done and should try out a new career.

The worst part is he got beat up by another predictable guy in Bobby. Sure, Reaper looked as good as always, but Kelvin was extremly one dimensional in his attack. Ot should have been tit for tat, Bobbys karate lunges for every Gastelum 1,2. But Kelvin was a step behind. And he looked good physically. Idk what happened.

I think it just looks worse than it actually is. I mean looking back to the specific where he really took too many shots were against Isreal and Whittaker the best strikers in the devision. Being in a 5 round war with both of them certainly didn't help that cause.

When his chin eventually gets cracked, expect a massive skid and downfall of Gastelum. At this point, dude gets praised for his ability to eat punches more than his skills.
His boxing is slick also. He doesn't kick much and yes he's become very predictable. Unless he works real hard and reinvents himself he might be one of those guys who peaked very young. I could see what you're talking about also. It's not a stretch to me.

The worst part is he got beat up by another predictable guy in Bobby. Sure, Reaper looked as good as always, but Kelvin was extremly one dimensional in his attack. Ot should have been tit for tat, Bobbys karate lunges for every Gastelum 1,2. But Kelvin was a step behind. And he looked good physically. Idk what happened.

You think Whittaker is predictable? I can see what you mean by his blitzes being predictable against Adesanya (that's cause he was forcing it and had a huge reach disadvantage), but normally he's not very predictable. He has a good variety of attacks as well.

Back