Is it easier to fight in a different state or country?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have always wondered if its easier for fighters to fight in a different country or a different town because they wont have to deal with the local scene and the talk goes on. Example being is, I live in the same province as Jason Thacker, after TUF 1 aired, his life went to shit because people were pissed for not representing them well and he even got attacked several times in bars and outside. Crazy story but its not surprising:

In Search of Strange Brew... - MMA Fighting

Now the whole thing got me wondering, is it less pressure to perform in a place where you don't know the people, the scene and pretty much you don't ever have to see these people or deal with them? I mean if they are not your people, your not letting them down and that they also don't know you other than just another fighter.

Of course the counter argument is social media but that is a sign of a UFC fighter who is achieving moderate success at the very least.

A KO’d man doesn’t know where he is
giphy.gif

Why are you asking people on Sherdog? Probably be better off contacting actual professional fighters and asking them, or just start training at a reputable gym and train with them, etc etc.. eventually build a friendship enough to be able to ask them in person?

I imagine fighting at home would be harder. Pressure of family and friends being there and could throw off your schedule. I have heard fighters say they still stay in hotels when at home just to keep that same fight week feel.

Thacker's showing would've let down his people whether it was in the states or anywhere.

I'd think different state or country wouldn't matter much if you stayed true to whatever routine or formula you've found successful.

I'd think something relatively close to a fighters hometown or a locale full of distractions could pose potential problems for some.

I've seen quite a few fighters say there's a lot more distractions when fighting at home. Friends, family, acquaintances wanting to visit dressing rooms, get tickets etc. It must be a pain in the arse.

RDA avoids fighting in Brazil at all costs. Only 1 of his 30 UFC fights has been in Brazil and that was 8 years ago. He does some training in Brazil, but he won't fight there. Not sure if he has ever stated why. Judges in Brazil, like the UK, give out a lot of home-cooked decisions. As a Brazilian, it would be to his advantage to fight there.

I always fought away from my home.
Its funner when nobody knows you and hates you for fighting the home town guy.

The people are always nice after the fight too. And someone will usually buy you something to eat.

Why are you asking people on Sherdog? Probably be better off contacting actual professional fighters and asking them, or just start training at a reputable gym and train with them, etc etc.. eventually build a friendship enough to be able to ask them in person?
Strange statement to make on an MMA board. You're almost nullifying its very purpose.

I mean before the fight. The pressure of pleasing your crowd, your community. I always wondered if that is an added pressure to a fighters performance.

Some like it, some don't. Some don't like hostile crowds some love hostile crowds.

Pretty sure Kevin Lee loved a h9stile crowd. Think he said it on JRE.

RDA avoids fighting in Brazil at all costs. Only 1 of his 30 UFC fights has been in Brazil and that was 8 years ago. He does some training in Brazil, but he won't fight there. Not sure if he has ever stated why. Judges in Brazil, like the UK, give out a lot of home-cooked decisions. As a Brazilian, it would be to his advantage to fight there.
Interesting cool fact re RDA.

big boys first fight in Brazil was against schaub and that was his 41st fight, then he had a few more there before retiring.

Some like it, some don't. Some don't like hostile crowds some love hostile crowds.

Pretty sure Kevin Lee loved a h9stile crowd. Think he said it on JRE.
Kevin Lee would get booed fighting in his childhood backyard.

<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

I have always wondered if its easier for fighters to fight in a different country or a different town because they wont have to deal with the local scene and the talk goes on. Example being is, I live in the same province as Jason Thacker, after TUF 1 aired, his life went to shit because people were pissed for not representing them well and he even got attacked several times in bars and outside. Crazy story but its not surprising:

In Search of Strange Brew... - MMA Fighting

Now the whole thing got me wondering, is it less pressure to perform in a place where you don't know the people, the scene and pretty much you don't ever have to see these people or deal with them? I mean if they are not your people, your not letting them down and that they also don't know you other than just another fighter.

Of course the counter argument is social media but that is a sign of a UFC fighter who is achieving moderate success at the very least.
Just read that strange brew article, thank you for the post it is actually pretty sad.

I think Black Beast said he didn't care at all for fighting in his hometown. Could be misremembering though.

Kevin Lee would get booed fighting in his childhood backyard.

<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

<45><45><45>

Would be pretty epic if you had a fight club kind of crowd in primary school. LMAO

I bet Kevin can take a fuckton of preschoolers now though.

Just read that strange brew article, thank you for the post it is actually pretty sad.

It is and people in my town are not the best. One thing is, MMA in B.C is tied to gangs and gang members. I was thinking about fighting but I also don't want to be associated with these individuals.

I know that MMA scenes in every local town has seedy characters but my town is very notorious for it. That and fighting in a different town my be less taxing. You know no one and you are not letting anyone down or have to worry about looking bad in front of people that you might know and don't like.

Of course UFC is different because if you just make it to the UFC, you are in a way accomplished and if you never win a UFC fight, that is ok because you got that far. But losing in some shows is real confidence killer.

TS, you are asking basicly a bunch of kids that live in their parents basements. Some fighters react different in their home town. There really is no real answer to this. And none of these keyboard warriors could answer it.

TS, you are asking basicly a bunch of kids that live in their parents basements. Some fighters react different in their home town. There really is no real answer to this. And none of these keyboard warriors could answer it.

Tons of guys here have fought in MMA and Kickboxing. Not just in the stand up forum but also guys that post here. You post here but you have low opinion of your Sherdog brothers.

Back