Its just really hard to put this older lighter weight classes guys as goat of their categories

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It really is, people usually use the level of competition to put younguer fighters as goats, i don't agree with that logic 100%, but its a really good point when you look at the lw-below classes. Lw is a pretty old division by now but to be real it was basically estinct back in the day and only now its tge premiere division, its kinda crazy to think that for a long part of the history of this sport the deepest talent pool there is ( lighter weight classes) was basically untouched, fw and below werent even in the ufc 15 years ago. Im not saying guys like aldo, cruz and etc didn't have skill, they still do and are very competitive in the divisions they are, but they never faced close to the level of competition we have today in their "primes"

I disagree. Consider Benson Henderson as an example. He fought Pettis, Edgar, Cerrone, Dos Anjos, Khabilov, Masvidal, Josh Thomson, Melendez, Guida. And that's not to mention Freire and Chandler.

His strength of schedule compares very favorably with anyone's at LW.

Reactions: G10
LW GOATS:
1. Motivated Penn
2. Marino inch Penn
3. Tippietoe Penn
4. Gleason Tibau
5. Khabib

I disagree. Consider Benson Henderson as an example. He fought Pettis, Edgar, Cerrone, Dos Anjos, Khabilov, Masvidal, Josh Thomson, Melendez, Guida. And that's not to mention Freire and Chandler.

His strength of schedule compares very favorably with anyone's at LW.
Im not counting hendo, he was fighting at an already deep lw division and he's still fighting by the way as are about half of this guys

Im not counting hendo, he was fighting at an already deep lw division and he's still fighting by the way as are about half of this guys

But he's a contemporary of Aldo and Cruz. Aldo and Cruz started fighting in 2005 and 2005 respectively. Benson started in 2006.

But he's a contemporary of Aldo and Cruz. Aldo and Cruz started fighting in 2005 and 2005 respectively. Benson started in 2006.
I mean yeah but lw was already a more estableshed division, it peaked earlier when cormpared to fw and bw ( i actually wasn't certain if i should put lw on this thread cause its older, i only put it cause it was so lacking in public interess back in the day that it basically desapeared)

Being the GOAT of a division doesn't have to mean that they would have to be competitive by modern standards; it's about what they accomplished during their career at their time. Use DJ for example. In ten years, MMA might evolve to the point where every fighter is as good or better than DJ was in 2015 or so. That doesn't hurt DJ's legacy because it's based on what he accomplished during his time on top. Just because Holloway beat Aldo twice doesn't make him the greater 145er because Holloway wasn't able to hold on to the belt as long as Aldo did.

Back