Gregor Vs Carlos Was A Very High Level Fight, Shows Off Depth At LW

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I wasn’t watching the event live, but caught it on my espn + app yesterday. What a high level fight. Crazy to think neither of these guys were even in the top 10. It really shows how deep the division is as a whole. They were all over the place. Crazy high pace. Both guys in danger in a few different situations. The striking and submission games between positions were fluid, fast and fun.

Crazy that these two guys have a combined record of 15-5 in the UFC. It’s nuts, I feel like if you had told me this was a championship fight I wouldn’t have called you a liar.

LW is the best division by far in the sport

Both guys are insanely skilled.
People forget Diego Ferreira was TKO'D by Dustin early in his UFC run.
Shows how insane how stacked LW is.
Now that they're finally starting to shift the inactive LW's out the rankings, we'll see more monster contenders rise up.
Hope Gregor gets the Dan Hooker fight.

Both guys are insanely skilled.
People forget Diego Ferreira was TKO'D by Dustin early in his UFC run.
Shows how insane how stacked LW is.
Now that they're finally starting to shift the inactive LW's out the rankings, we'll see more monster contenders rise up.
Hope Gregor gets the Dan Hooker fight.
I think it’s been deep at the top for awhile, but it’s gotten even better lately. It’s crazy when you think about what Dan hooker did to Al Ianquinta. I mean, holy shit, that was a beatdown. Makes you think about how much the division has evolved even though it was arguably already very deep

I think it’s been deep at the top for awhile, but it’s gotten even better lately. It’s crazy when you think about what Dan hooker did to Al Ianquinta. I mean, holy shit, that was a beatdown. Makes you think about how much the division has evolved even though it was arguably already very deep
I'm really curious to see how the top 5 will look like by the end of 2021. Who will be champ? Will the title change again after UFC 262 later this year?
I'm hyped for this weekend for the 2 big LW fights this weekend.
Hopefully Gaethje gets a fight soon, I think it's a bit late but I still have hope for him vs RDA at UFC 264.

Im impressed by Gillespie, but he looks very hittable
Im seeing that also. For the first 2mins of R1 he was moving and bouncing and striking like a fast FW. After he took a couple he really, really slowed down. I was shocked.
He probably took 4-5 flush punches on the chin in that first round. A top tier striker would put him out with that.
Maybe , hopefully, it was an fluke. Because I love watching Gregor fight and hope to see more of it against better opponents

I'm really curious to see how the top 5 will look like by the end of 2021. Who will be champ? Will the title change again after UFC 262 later this year?
I'm hyped for this weekend for the 2 big LW fights this weekend.
Hopefully Gaethje gets a fight soon, I think it's a bit late but I still have hope for him vs RDA at UFC 264.
Honestly I think LW is gonna be a bloodbath for awhile. I think we’ll see the belt change lots of hands. There’s no one guy I picture clearing the division. I think the “easy” pick would be someone like Dustin or Justin. There’s also the “what if” factor of khabib coming back. If someone starts putting together a streak of 2+ defenses and Khabib never beat them...does he come back? Who knows.

I think chandler will struggle in the long run but his explosiveness and athleticism are great.

Im seeing that also. For the first 2mins of R1 he was moving and bouncing and striking like a fast FW. After he took a couple he really, really slowed down. I was shocked.
He probably took 4-5 flush punches on the chin in that first round. A top tier striker would put him out with that.
Maybe , hopefully, it was an fluke. Because I love watching Gregor fight and hope to see more of it against better opponents
I think that’s part of being the “pressure” fighter is some times you get caught going in and you have to work your way through the wall. But you’re right. If that’s one of the heavy hitters like a drew dober, Justin etc... he’s probably going out

CDF needs to get his shit together...you can't be missing that much weight wise...it's either that or move up...he has all the skills to beat top 10 fighters like Tony, Hooker, Lee or even Conor...Same with Gregor, I mean, he ain't Khabib but man is he relentless and very scrappy...

Honestly I think LW is gonna be a bloodbath for awhile. I think we’ll see the belt change lots of hands. There’s no one guy I picture clearing the division. I think the “easy” pick would be someone like Dustin or Justin. There’s also the “what if” factor of khabib coming back. If someone starts putting together a streak of 2+ defenses and Khabib never beat them...does he come back? Who knows.

I think chandler will struggle in the long run but his explosiveness and athleticism are great.
My dream matchup is Dustin becoming champ and have Gaethje challenging him for the belt.
I wanna see what Gaethje does differently, ever since that loss to Dustin he's been fighting a lot more intelligently.
Probably one of the most entertaining/violent title matches in UFC LW history if it happens.

CDF needs to get his shit together...you can't be missing that much weight wise...it's either that or move up...he has all the skills to beat top 10 fighters like Tony, Hooker, Lee or even Conor...Same with Gregor, I mean, he ain't Khabib but man is he relentless and very scrappy...
Well, he held his own against someone who went into the fight with top control statistics similar to khabib. If the second round fatigue was related to weight cutting, I’d love to see him correct that

I might be wrong on this, but didn't he and Gregor take the fight on short notice?
Either way it's unacceptable if he has championship hopes.
Imo, I think losing the 2nd Beneil Dariush hurt him mentally and fucked with his motivation.

My dream matchup is Dustin becoming champ and have Gaethje challenging him for the belt.
I wanna see what Gaethje does differently, ever since that loss to Dustin he's been fighting a lot more intelligently.
Probably one of the most entertaining/violent title matches in UFC LW history if it happens.
That would be a rematch id have no issue with. Yeah I think Dustin gained a swagger/confidence about him, and I think Justin got more patient. Would be a fun fight for sure

I wasn’t watching the event live, but caught it on my espn + app yesterday. What a high level fight. Crazy to think neither of these guys were even in the top 10. It really shows how deep the division is as a whole. They were all over the place. Crazy high pace. Both guys in danger in a few different situations. The striking and submission games between positions were fluid, fast and fun.

Crazy that these two guys have a combined record of 15-5 in the UFC. It’s nuts, I feel like if you had told me this was a championship fight I wouldn’t have called you a liar.

Gregor showed Champion level HEART !

Both showed great sills... Those scrambles were probably the best part of the whole night.

Here is an example when Carlos, a game fighter was broke by Gregor... Carlos did not quit.. Not for a second.. He was Broken and that's a different thing altogether.

I might be wrong on this, but didn't he and Gregor take the fight on short notice?
Either way it's unacceptable if he has championship hopes.
Imo, I think losing the 2nd Beneil Dariush hurt him mentally and fucked with his motivation.
We don't really know what's going on with CDF though, guy is struggling in and outside the cage...he's got a ton of potential but somehow he lacks support outside the cage, if you have to travel 8hrs to train, that ain't good.

Back