Will Anyone Ever Surpass BJ Penn?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In UFC losing streaks? Just got me thinking with Cerrone. I mean technically he beat Price but not really. That being said it's hard to think anyone else will be able to get to 7 losses without being cut. Penn very well could have gotten 8 if he hadn't gotten into his shenanigans. Seems like 5 losses is the sweet spot where they let someone go. Lombard was close with 6 losses. I can't remember if he retired or got cut or both. Arlovski had 5 then somehow is going about 50/50 in his fights. Who can you see getting to 8 straight losses? I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Given BJ's legacy, relationship with the UFC, popularity, and HUGE drop off in skill and motivation it was a perfect storm. It's still a little unbelievable that Penn almost had another fight after 7 losses and Dana still didn't seem committed into letting him go.

If anything Price beat him
Yeah I forgot was it a Majority Draw with one judge for him even with a point taken away? I see them REALLY giving Cerrone a softball fight but I don't even know who that could be at this point. Morono is okay but you'd think that would be a beatable guy for Cerrone but he was never in that fight.

If anything Price beat him
Impressive
0aVRhbE.gif

In UFC losing streaks? Just got me thinking with Cerrone. I mean technically he beat Price but not really. That being said it's hard to think anyone else will be able to get to 7 losses without being cut. Penn very well could have gotten 8 if he hadn't gotten into his shenanigans. Seems like 5 losses is the sweet spot where they let someone go. Lombard was close with 6 losses. I can't remember if he retired or got cut or both. Arlovski had 5 then somehow is going about 50/50 in his fights. Who can you see getting to 8 straight losses? I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Given BJ's legacy, relationship with the UFC, popularity, and HUGE drop off in skill and motivation it was a perfect storm. It's still a little unbelievable that Penn almost had another fight after 7 losses and Dana still didn't seem committed into letting him go.
Don't forget he also got knocked out in a parking lot. So you would have to lose 7 in a row and get beat up by your girlfriend or wife to actually surpass BJ.
giphy.gif

Thats really sad to see. He got knocked out with slaps, not even punches by an over weight lump of lard.
Lol at thinking a slap with enough force cant KO you. Ive seen many a man fall to the slap. You have to accept the fact that a slap can end your life at any moment.

He never should've went down to FW, he never won a single fight there.
He went 1 - 10 -1 in his last 12 fights. No way Dana would ever let any one these days have that kind of streak.

Platinum Perry..

Josh Burkman lost 6 straight and 8 out of 9. That's pretty bad.

Also fair to note that even while it was awful to see BJ lose so many fights in a row.
The people he fought were FAR better than the ones Burkman did. It's close to Penn's numbers wise. But when you look at them side by side. His is worse I think.

Last edited:

9/10 for the setup in the thread title.
<{Heymansnicker}>

Reactions: G10
Back