McGregor's main sparring partner for Poirier rematch is 2-0 pro fighter

"I'm not surprised"
<{natewhut}>

Conor already knows what to do, I think

That guy got some rounds in with Conor.
That's pretty cool. Sounds like he's doing good right now to too.

Not sure about the main sparing partner thing though.

It's an interesting concept.

Typically you want a guy worse than you so that you can find your timing, placements and strong spots. You don't want them so far underneath you that there's no threat though. The problem when you spar killers all day is that you both end up trying to survive and not working on skills. It becomes more of a test of skills than a development of skills even if you're going pretty light. That's just my two cents. Go to a BJJ class and roll w an upper belt and roll and you might not learn as much than if you were methodically breaking down the new blues and purples.

McGregor sparred Artem Lobov to prepare for Jose Aldo, Eddie Alvarez, and Floyd Mayweather. Maybe he should go back to that

Artem Lobov is at least tough as they come man not 2-0 regional fighter.

He isn't world beater, no, but he lost to Ryan Hall, Cub Swanson, Fili, Michael Johnson, and Alex White. Outside Alex White, they are pretty good fighters. Artem Lobov is a step below elite, and he's not bad at all.

By "sparring partner", do you mean punching bag hired to make Conor look good ? Do you think that being 2-0 he has anything for Conor ?

Hard to believe it has been 3 and a half years since Conor and Artem had their falling out at the end of 2017. They used to be inseparable, both in and out of the gym.

I don't think that's such a bad thing. I listened to GSP's podcast awhile back on JRE and he talks about training with low level sparring partners and how it helps him.
To sum it up, he basically mentioned that training with higher level sparring partners will make you more hesitant in a fight since they didn't give you as many openings, making the fighter being afraid of being caught in the actual fight.
Mentioning that many high level BJJ practitioners would roll with blue belts to boost their confidence and open up their creativity when they're facing higher level competition.

Now if he's ONLY training with guys of this lower caliber it might open up defensive holes too. Keep a balance between training between higher caliber fighters and mid caliber fighter.

Last edited:
TS:
2Ue1hCn.gif

Just my thoughts.

Hard to believe it has been 3 and a half years since Conor and Artem had their falling out at the end of 2017. They used to be inseparable, both in and out of the gym.

huh what happened?

Back