(Opinion) Gregor Gillespie should fight at 145..

Gregor would likely have a diminished ability to take damage with a big weight cut.

Gregor isn't known for his smart decisions. Dude is already 34 and wasted his prime being inactive.
we don't know whats going on with fighters lives outside of the cage. sometimes you need to stepback after a big loss...he has the skills and the heart but I agree...145 might be better. he isn't even a tall 145er...I'd like to see him vs. ortega...

Yeah, I also thought he is small for the devision. His frame is small, and it's not like he's super thick either. If his weight cut isn't really taxing at 155 then 145 would be a better option.

Looks to me like he could make the weight and would have an easier time wrestling smaller opponents. I think he's hurting his potential by fighting 55ers. He could go down one weight class and contend imo..

Thoughts...

Yeah I guess you'd know better than him or his team. lol

MMA generally has larger gaps in weight classes vs. boxing and wrestling. Gregor is undersized for 155 and too big for 145. As a college athlete, he wrestled at 149, so at age 34 he isn't going to weigh less than he did in his late teens and early 20's. In a perfect world, the UFC would have a couple more weight classes, perhaps 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 200, 220 and HW. This way the big LW fighters who cut massive amounts of weight could fight at 165 and same thing for the big WW fighters. They could fight at 175 and not have to move up to MW at 185 and go against MW guys who cut from 215 to 225 walk around weight.

RDA lost the LW belt because he could no longer make weight safely. He almost died prior to the Alvarez fight, so not surprising he lost that fight and then lost the next fight vs. Ferguson (eye pokes didn't help either) and then spent several years as a short and small WW going against far big guys like Usman (loss) and Lawler (win).

Gregor isn't known for his smart decisions. Dude is already 34 and wasted his prime being inactive.
Yeah its pretty crazy how passive he is about his career...his entire prime had a slogan "Gone Fishing" literally. I still think he will make it to a title shot however...if he fights more than once a year.

All the talk about wasting his prime, but it's not quite true imo.
Fighters might peak at prime and sink swiftly afterwards at his age in the lighter classes due to tonnes of fights, tonnes of damage, multiple difficult weight cuts, a style that depends on speed and reflexes.
Gregor is the opposite of these things. He is inactive, doesn't kill himself to make scales, works a wrestling heavy gameplan that minimises damage and is less reliant on raw speed. His prime could comfortably be several more years

MMA generally has larger gaps in weight classes vs. boxing and wrestling. Gregor is undersized for 155 and too big for 145. As a college athlete, he wrestled at 149, so at age 34 he isn't going to weigh less than he did in his late teens and early 20's. In a perfect world, the UFC would have a couple more weight classes, perhaps 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 200, 220 and HW. This way the big LW fighters who cut massive amounts of weight could fight at 165 and same thing for the big WW fighters. They could fight at 175 and not have to move up to MW at 185 and go against MW guys who cut from 215 to 225 walk around weight.

RDA lost the LW belt because he could no longer make weight safely. He almost died prior to the Alvarez fight, so not surprising he lost that fight and then lost the next fight vs. Ferguson (eye pokes didn't help either) and then spent several years as a short and small WW going against far big guys like Usman (loss) and Lawler (win).
220 is simply a waste of time. Otherwise sure

To be fair, he looked especially undersized against an opponent that hit 160.5 at the weigh-ins and was likely 185 in the cage.
Aren't there rules about what a fighter is allowed to weigh in the cage after a big weight miss?

Back