Magny vs Lombard is one of the most underrated comeback in MMA history.

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score
That fight should be in HOF for terrible referring & also for a great comeback.

I don't remember who was the ref in that fight, but he could have easily called that fight off in the 1st round where Hector had Neil pasted on the ground. Lombard blew his wad in the first round while Magny made a tremendous comeback with a brutal GnP. in the second round Ref was incompetent as well, resulting Lombard eating plenty of unanswered shots.

From that fight I gained tremendous respect for Magny & he became one of my favourite fighter.

I love that fight to no boring moments and high level.

Goddard's reaction to the non-stoppage in the crowd is classic.

Goddard-reax-1.gif

I don't remember who was the ref in that fight, but he could have easily called that fight off in the 1st round where Hector had Neil pasted on the ground. Lombard blew his wad in the first round while Magny made a tremendous comeback with a brutal GnP. in the second round Ref was incompetent as well, resulting Lombard eating plenty of unanswered shots.

From that fight I gained tremendous respect for Magny & he became one of my favourite fighter.
Shit looks like I missed the best fight of the card...

I have always seen him as a less good I should say version of Jones without the wrestling.

They're both lanky and awkward, but Magny actually has a jab and throws combinations.

If he had any power whatsoever, he'd have cracked the top 5 by now.

I don't think I have ever seen one fighter give a 10-8 beating in the first round to then be on the receiving end of 10-8 beating in the second. I don't know if 10-8s were officially given out but those rounds clearly qualified as such.

I don't think I have ever seen one fighter give a 10-8 beating in the first round to then be on the receiving end of 10-8 beating in the second. I don't know if 10-8s were officially given out but those rounds clearly qualified as such.

Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson

Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson

Jake shields was dominating him position wise, but I never understood the little pitter patter punches from the top.

Sometimes I feel like Jake Shields is afraid of hitting too hard and hurting people while on top.

I don't remember who was the ref in that fight, but he could have easily called that fight off in the 1st round where Hector had Neil pasted on the ground.

I'd say just the opposite; it's my go-to fight when showing an example of "intelligently defending yourself." Lombard was dealing out a beating, yes, but Magny was always working, moving to stand up and improve position, even if it meant taking a few extra undefended shots. His defense wasn't always perfect or even effective (at least in terms of not getting hit), but it was always intelligent (in terms of staying in the fight). Letting the fight go throughout the entire first round was absolutely the right call.

It's also one of the best displays of terrible fight IQ by Lombard. He had won round 1 10-8 easily and was on top and likely ahead in round 2 about a minute or so from what I remember and he gives up top position for a leglock, after that Magny lands a bunch of punches from top and keeps the better position on the ground for the remainder of the round as Lombard gasses.

I think if Lombard didn't go for that leg lock he would have won that fight.

At the same time it also showed how pillow fisted Magny is

TS said Magny is one of his favorite fighters

<DontBelieve1>

I was rooting for Hector and him dropping for a heel hook from top position made me go all: [omg1]

Back