McGregor's future

otizik**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am questioning Connor's work ethic and value as a fighter here. Let me begin by saying it is no brainer that Connor will continue to be a massive draw and talk of the town in foreseeable future, but I cannot help but think he never reached his true ceiling as a martial artist.

Pre-2016 McGregor looked focused, hired a movement coach to improve his skillset, and showed a genuine desire to work his way to the very top in two divisions.

Than 2017-2018 period happened. Big money started pouring in and he started thinking he is larger than life. Bizzare incident after incident ensued: the bus attack, Florida robbery arrest, Dublin pub assault and Corsica sexual assault charge, it all happened in a space of a year or two. Connor slowly became unhinged and his performance inside the Octagon took a steep dive. Reading from that, my impression is that his true goal was to make as much money out of his success before his demons took him over. He never had a genuine dedication to be the GOAT or leave a truly memorable legacy, but to get out of poverty fast and begin spending money on his fantasies.

If he wants to turn back the clock IMO he needs to leave Ireland where everyone is stroking his ego and try to restart the career in a good American camp to address his ground game and stale striking before it is too late.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Q2VV52OVQFB6FKDLKGLGBNUZHE.jpg

I mostly agree, Conor basically runs his own camps now and has been for awhile. Especially after the Khabib fight where he criticized his coaches for the game plan.

He still has some time, but this fight is make or break for him in terms of title contention. Dustin is not the same fighter since the first Conor fight and has been fighting smarter since the Micheal Johnson loss.
Also Dustin is his easiest stylistic matchup out of the top 5, if he beats Dustin that's just first step. Charles, Chandler and Justin bring a whole different bag of issues.

He used to be shredded, he started going downhill after he fought at 170 against Diaz

Got too bulked up

The majority of his fight experience is KOing 145ers in the 1st or 2nd round, at 155 he can't KO people as easily, and he struggles badly after like 1 1/2 rounds

He should've stayed active the past few years also, now he's playing catch up with an older, slower body than he once had

He used to be shredded, he started going downhill after he fought at 170 against Diaz

Got too bulked up

The majority of his fight experience is KOing 145ers in the 1st or 2nd round, at 155 he can't KO people as easily, and he struggles badly after like 1 1/2 rounds

He should've stayed active the past few years also, now he's playing catch up with an older, slower body than he once had
I honestly think he's getting finished sooner this time around. That was a bad KO and he's coming back after only 6 months to fight a monster like Dustin.

It's already too late, he's not turning back the clock.

Doesn't mean he can't win a fight or two with a haymaker, but he hasn't looked elite at LW since 2016.

All things considered, I'd argue he dodged a few bullets and maximized his potential in terms of in cage success. The RDA fight got cancelled and looking back that was probably a blessing in disguise, he got subbed by Diaz but atleast there was the welterweight excuse. He ran it back like a champ and got the hard fought win, then came back and starched one of the best LW's in the world (alverez).

The fact he got an instant title shot at LW and took advantage was huge for his career. He had a good run but ultimately he fell off due to ego and lack of discipline, post Aldo he really lost his mind. Once the "El Chapo" stuff started, that was the beginning of the end.

He's a skilled semi-versatile striker with good power and good speed, in addition to decent grappling both offensively and defensively and a previous really sturdy chin. Good fight iq and a good understanding of cage control, but he was never going to age well in this sport. This is just the natural way of things.

So to sum things up, his future is back to back losses for the first time in his career, potentially retirement or some rough losses on the way down. With some good moments and big events along the way.

Last edited:
Only fans and he will make millions. You heard it hear first.

I mostly agree, Conor basically runs his own camps now and has been for awhile. Especially after the Khabib fight where he criticized his coaches for the game plan.

He still has some time, but this fight is make or break for him in terms of title contention. Dustin is not the same fighter since the first Conor fight and has been fighting smarter since the Micheal Johnson loss.
Also Dustin is his easiest stylistic matchup out of the top 5, if he beats Dustin that's just first step. Charles, Chandler and Justin bring a whole different bag of issues.
Justin is the easiest for Conor. A dude with wild striking who always walks forward and never grapples at all. Also his opposite stance which is great for Conor

I am questioning Connor's work ethic and value as a fighter here. Let me begin by saying it is no brainer that Connor will continue to be a massive draw and talk of the town in foreseeable future, but I cannot help but think he never reached his true ceiling as a martial artist.

Pre-2016 McGregor looked focused, hired a movement coach to improve his skillset, and showed a genuine desire to work his way to the very top in two divisions.

Than 2017-2018 period happened. Big money started pouring in and he started thinking he is larger than life. Bizzare incident after incident ensued: the bus attack, Florida robbery arrest, Dublin pub assault and Corsica sexual assault charge, it all happened in a space of a year or two. Connor slowly became unhinged and his performance inside the Octagon took a steep dive. Reading from that, my impression is that his true goal was to make as much money out of his success before his demons took him over. He never had a genuine dedication to be the GOAT or leave a truly memorable legacy, but to get out of poverty fast and begin spending money on his fantasies.

If he wants to turn back the clock IMO he needs to leave Ireland where everyone is stroking his ego and try to restart the career in a good American camp to address his ground game and stale striking before it is too late.

Thoughts?
When you have conor money you can afford to bring people into your camp it's not like the coaches and training partners are going to say no to getting on a plane if the money is there.

A 30 for 30 about how all the numbers thrown around were imaginary, and he spent like he had hundreds of millions, and now he's broke. Coming 2028.

Justin is the easiest for Conor. A dude with wild striking who always walks forward and never grapples at all. Also his opposite stance which is great for Conor
I would agree with Justin pre-Dustin loss. Ever since he lost to Dustin and Eddie back to back, he's become more calculated and technical. Imo he can formulate a game plan to brutalize McGregor.

Yeah and what has he even been doing until now?
Honestly don't know, I know John Kavanagh said gyms in Ireland are opening in a few weeks and Conor said it's almost time for camp.
I think he's been a sort of "pre-camp" I guess to get the weight down and cardio up. Either way if his camp doesn't begin in the next 2-3 weeks it would be concerning.

When you have conor money you can afford to bring people into your camp it's not like the coaches and training partners are going to say no to getting on a plane if the money is there.

Thanks for chiming in.
I have to respectfully disagree here. IMO familiarity breeds contempt. That's why some immigrants are ferociously driven to success.

You need to get out of your comfort zone and grow by experiencing difficulties in new surroundings and working through them.

New country, new camp, new coach, ideas and unfamiliar faces.

I'll stop with spewing wisdom here otherwise I may be mistaken for Fabia ;)

Last edited:
Honestly don't know, I know John Kavanagh said gyms in Ireland are opening in a few weeks and Conor said it's almost time for camp.
I think he's been a sort of "pre-camp" I guess to get the weight down and cardio up. Either way if his camp doesn't begin in the next 2-3 weeks it would be concerning.
And I feel like it's hard to gain skills once you're in camp, you're mainly just getting in shape, and sharpening your timing

Tough to see Conor winning unfortunately

And I feel like it's hard to gain skills once you're in camp, you're mainly just getting in shape, and sharpening your timing

Tough to see Conor winning unfortunately
Well he had a good run tbh. If he loses he should try to do a retirement fight with Diaz, perhaps finally get stadium in Ireland. Sadly, I doubt he does a retirement fight because his ego is too big and he can't accept it.

If he loses I could also see a fallout with the UFC since Conor almost cancelled a whole event due to twitter trash talk from Dustin, he'll continue antics like this. There's also the UFC refusing him fights that he wants now. Ever since Conor did the bus incident and leaked the tweets with Dana they seem to be on a rocky road.

Thanks for chiming in.
I have to respectfully disagree here. IMO familiarity breeds contempt. That's why some immigrants are ferociously driven to success.

You need to get out of your comfort zone and grow by experiencing difficulties in new surroundings and working through them.

New country, new camp, new coach, ideas and unfamiliar faces.

I'll stop with spewing wisdom here otherwise I may be mistaken for Fabia ;)
I'm not sure he needs to dump Kav.

How did GSP do it?

GSP is a successful model for improving your game throughout your career.

Well he had a good run tbh. If he loses he should try to do a retirement fight with Diaz, perhaps finally get stadium in Ireland. Sadly, I doubt he does a retirement fight because his ego is too big and he can't accept it.

If he loses I could also see a fallout with the UFC since Conor almost cancelled a whole event due to twitter trash talk from Dustin, he'll continue antics like this. There's also the UFC refusing him fights that he wants now. Ever since Conor did the bus incident and leaked the tweets with Dana they seem to be on a rocky road.
Yeah, I agree, most of the downfalls in his career come from his ego, he'll probably end up taking too many losses. It'll be tough for him to come to grips with the fact his run is already over, a lot of these guys convince themselves they're gonna be the best-case scenario like Jan or DC and be really good in your late 30's, for him it probably feels like his whole career happened so quick.

I think he'll get along with the UFC as long as he keeps selling the PPVs he sells

Back