Why UFC dont do tournaments like in Bellator?

ehxsur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Any legit/official reason?

Do you like tournament in mma? if yes or no, why?

Discuss

The UFC prefers to poach their stars rather than take a risk creating one themselves.

The UFC prefers to poach their stars rather than take a risk creating one themselves.
Yea that literally makes 0 sense.

Lets all completley ignore the entire history of TUF

Anyway with that destruction out of the way,its simple..

USADA

NSAC

and the best fighters costing too much money to have them fight on a regular basis means,this format is dead in the nowadays era of the UFC.

Even if they could afford a tournament,say in the LW div,why would guys like Conor,Porier,and so on bother to compete in it? They can simply hang back and fight the winner of it,who will be all busted up probably by then.

Because alot of shit can go wrong. Tournaments aren't meant for fighting unless PED's is allowed to make it easier on injuries.

Discuss

I assume the reason they don’t do it is because tournaments take away all the flexibility with matchmaking. The company is unable to book the fights that bring the most attention

I like one day tournaments otherwise I think their stupid. Too many injuries, replacements, push backs... I think they almost always loss steam towards the end. It’s so much easier to just book the fight people want to see

Why doesn't the ufc don't none due that bellator does

Good topic. So here’s my deal with tournaments, and I know a lot of ppl disagree with me:
Tournaments are great when they are used sparingly, and have a purpose.
Bellator’s HW Grand Prix was cool because we hadn’t seen a tourney in awhile. And they badly needed to crown a new HW champ, so it made sense.
-There was no reason to have a FW Grand Prix, WW Grand Prix, or even LHW Grand Prix. That type of shit holds up the division, drags on forever, and fighters always get injured or fall out of the tourney or whatever.

UFC missed a great fucking opportunity to do this with the LW title. When Khabib vacated, they should’ve had a tournament. Could’ve been a small 4-man tournament with say, Chandler-Oliveira and Poirier-McGregor. Or an 8 man: Poirier, McGregor, Chandler, Oliveira, Ferguson, Gaethje, RDA and Makachev or whomever (I know Islam is like #11, I threw him in for fun).

All the controversies about whether Chandler deserves a shot, whether Conor should be hot-shotted into title fights, Poirier preferring to fight Conor rather than for the belt, etc., could’ve been dealt with by booking a really cool tournament.

Last edited:
because they have less power in controlling the narrative and that is the bullshit they sell and sell well

Discuss

They used to do them in TUF all the time.

I think they are harder to make with the top UFC talent with too many variables for them to feel they can offer the consistency required to make them awesome.

Chandler def Hooker
Oliveira def Ferguson

Oliveira v Chandler

that's a tournament.

I like tourneys, the Strikeforce HW GP was awesome and Bellator's FW finals between AJ and Pitbull is gonna be awesome, I feel like the UFC should at least do a tourney when a title becomes vacant a LW tourney would of been sweet

men are fragile now. They need plenty of notice and a good 8 weeks on twitter between pulling out of fights
So very few live by the creed Anyone, anytime.

Tbh the ratings would go through the roof. Everyone loves that kind of "eliminator" thing. Playoffs in the NBA, champions league/libertadores in soccer, Roland Garros/US/AU Open in tennis etc. People just love this bracket one vs one tournaments, so i really don't get why they don't do it.

Back