What if Conor Mcgregor stayed at featherweight?

Hey Soos

Conor4Ever
@Blue
Reaction score
I have always wondered what would have happened if Conor never moved up a few weight classes and stayed at 145 instead. I feel as though he would be undefeated to this day and have a couple title defenses against frankie, ortega, and holloway.

Edit 1: Ya Ya i know about his dangerous weight cut that made him look like skeletor but if cutting to featherweight was a breeze to him he would definitely been more successful at featherweight due to his reach and size. I don't see anyone in featherweight currently that could beat him besides volk and the korean zombie.

Last edited:
I have always wondered what would have happened if Conor never moved up a few weight classes and stayed at 145 instead. I feel as though he would be undefeated to this day and have a couple title defenses against frankie, ortega, and holloway.
The Holloway that took the belt probably breaks McGregor down. I'd favor Conor over Ortega. And Frankie matchup would be a toss up. If he doesn't get Frankie out in the first 2 rounds, he's pretty fucked. Keep in mind that even though the Mendes fight was high paced, McGregor was gassing out by the time he got the finish. And no idea on McGregor/Volk, but it would be fascinating. Also an Aldo rematch obviously would be a pick em fight probably.

The Holloway that took the belt probably breaks McGregor down. I'd favor Conor over Ortega. And Frankie matchup would be a toss up. If he doesn't get Frankie out in the first 2 rounds, he's pretty fucked. Keep in mind that even though the Mendes fight was high paced, McGregor was gassing out by the time he got the finish. And no idea on McGregor/Volk, but it would be fascinating. Also an Aldo rematch obviously would be a pick em fight probably.

Do you think it was the logical choice for Conor to have moved up in weight classes or stayed at featherweight and just cherry pick matches that he thinks he could win ? I feel as though he should have stuck with featherweight and defended his title against easier opponents like Frankie, Ortega, and an aldo rematch are all in the bag for him. Volk would give him trouble and holloway would outpoint him. Being a double champ is great but it has led to his downfall in my opinion.

Conor if he stayed at FW..

1.jpg

Do you think it was the logical choice for Conor to have moved up in weight classes or stayed at featherweight and just cherry pick matches that he thinks he could win ? I feel as though he should have stuck with featherweight and defended his title against easier opponents like Frankie, Ortega, and an aldo rematch are all in the bag for him. Volk would give him trouble and holloway would outpoint him. Being a double champ is great but it has led to his downfall in my opinion.
I don't think he could have stayed at FW longer. Maybe one or two more matches, but unlikley more. The rumors were that he was pushing 170 lbs for the Aldo fight, and that's just not sustainable for people not named Max Holloway. Double champ was the best move, Conor came along at the right time at FW, as a current generation of contenders was aging out (Mendes, Aldo, etc) but the next generation (Holloway, Yair, etc) were not quite ready to take over yet.

Also, if Holloway best Conor, it isn't by point. It's beating him to a pulp, I've yet to see any reason Conor could survive a fight like that once he gases or loses control of it.

I think the inactivity and the bulking to 170 is what did him in. Back when he was starching people he was very lean and efficient. Ever since he bulked up at 170 he looks bloated. Conor at 155 with a non body builder build would be a machine.

As for 145 the rumor is the weight cut was killing him. However if he just moved straight to 155 and never touched 170 I think the second half of his career would have gone a lot better.

You know, Conor won his FW championship on the first punch of the fight. If that punch doesn't happen, who knows what happens if it goes to 3rd or 4th round. Maybe McGregor was never that great to begin with. Look at Masvidal, he is a decent fighter, but then lands that one in a million knee on Askren and people think he's a superstar. What happened after that? We found out he is a good fighter....but not a great fighter. Maybe Conor is a good fighter, but not a great fighter.

He coudnt take that weight cut anymore, he was literally killing himself to get down there to beat up manlets

He would have defended his belt a couple times until he eventually lost. The some nerds on the internet would call him a washed up has been who was never really that good and just got lucky a few times.

Conor needs a catch weight. He is too big for Featherweight and too small for Lightweight. He will not be GOAT at LW.

Back