Do you think older fighters really believe they can become champ?

PlasticFishBowl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I’ve heard Dom Cruz say he wants to make one more run at the title. It just makes me wonder whether he’s just saying that as an “It’s what I’m supposed to say” type thing, or if he actually believes it. Could he actually watch Yan fight and think “yeah, I can beat that guy.”

Same goes for guys like Aldo, Weidman, Cowboy, etc. Its obvious they never will be a champ again, but do they know that?

Most people would have said this about Glover a year or two ago and he's about to fight for the title, so yes I do think they believe they can still be champ.

Most of them are simply fighting for money, they need to say these kinds of things... I think some of them are somewhat delusional and actually believe they can be champ again or become champion (Nate Diaz is a great example of this).

Have older fighters gotten title shots?If yes then they can become champions.Any punch has the potential to win you the fight,no matter how badly your are outmatched.

A geriatric Henderson almost took Bisping's head off twice.

The better question in my opinion is if people like Gustaffson who have gotten so close and lost multiple times can keep their motivation and effort going enough to end up winning a title.

Last edited:
Demian Maia would most likely have been called delusional if he claimed he'd get a title shot eventually in 2013-2014, but he got one at a very old age for a fighter against T Woodley.

Most people would have said this about Glover a year or two ago and he's about to fight for the title, so yes I do think they believe they can still be champ.
They said same about Vemola.

A few older fighters have been in the top 5 fighting for titles. It isn't unheard of. Aldo, Frankie, Romero etc. Don't forget Glover who will be fighting for a title later this year.

I think deep down they know its not likely but they try and convince themselves.

But I think very few have a chance you need to have a sturdy chin and KO power. Like Overeem could of been many times but the Chin gave out. Meanwhile some other multi time champs had Chins hold up.

Hell with favourable matchups I could see Cruz winning the title. I could see him wrestling Sandhagen, or decisioning Aljo, or maybe even running around Yan for 5 rounds, it's not like Yan's footwork is spectacular.

Answering your question though, i think a lot of them are highly delusional, however you might have to be to get to that level. Self belief is a powerful thing.

Bisping
Lawler
Jan

In mostly the heavier weight classes, the older more experienced fighters can age like a fine wine if they keep dat chin from getting cracked early in their careers

RwRRk9g.gif

I think the ability to compete at a high level in any combat sport requires a borderline delusional level of self confidence. Just to climb the ranks in the first place you have to believe despite a lack of supporting evidence that you can beat a higher ranked, typically more experienced fighter.

They just believe in themselves and the work they've put in, and their team so completely that it defies reason and logic... and for 1 in 1,000 guys they are right and it carries them all the way to the title.

I’ve heard Dom Cruz say he wants to make one more run at the title. It just makes me wonder whether he’s just saying that as an “It’s what I’m supposed to say” type thing, or if he actually believes it. Could he actually watch Yan fight and think “yeah, I can beat that guy.”

Same goes for guys like Aldo, Weidman, Cowboy, etc. Its obvious they never will be a champ again, but do they know that?
you forgot Undereem.

Blame the HW and LHW where old dinosaurs still reign supreme

Back