I've never seen a contender more overhyped than Colby

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I mean in terms of deserving a title shot. He has won a single time since he was finished by Kamaru. One win. Against a guy on a losing streak. Who then lost again.

Yet I see thread after thread and even the UFC say "of course he is next." Based on what? A lone win in the past 18 months against a clearly past it Tyron? Why isn't Luque the obvious #1 contender if that is all it takes? Hell, Luque at least has a 3-fight finish streak going.

I just don't understand why people are acting like Colby is on a Tony-10-fight-win-streak or something.

You must be new
Nah, but seriously, tell me who you are thinking of that eclipses this. The guy is literally on a one-fight win streak and the media/org/fans have unanimously declared him the most deserving title shot contender ever. In a world where Khabibs, Tonys, and Fitchs all existed going on endless streaks.

Where were you when Masvidal got his rematch?
Here. Where threads were posted daily about how it was bullshit that a guy was getting a title shot off a loss.

Colby vs Usman was one of the best WW title fights ever and was tied going into the 5th round. Usman has completely dominated everyone else outside of one good punch Burns landed.

it’s pretty obvious why most people want to see the rematch next.

It’s cuz he had a competitive fight with Kamaru.

I believe Kamaru has improved and hits harder now and will waste him.

It's kind of puzzling to me as well, sure the first fight was pretty close but ultimately he got finished. I'd personally like to see fresher matchups but I'm also not a fan so I may be biased.

He had a very competitive fight with Usman.. he was arguably up on the scorecards before he was finished..

Not particularly strange that some want to see that fight again.

I mean in terms of deserving a title shot. He has won a single time since he was finished by Kamaru. One win. Against a guy on a losing streak. Who then lost again.

Yet I see thread after thread and even the UFC say "of course he is next." Based on what? A lone win in the past 18 months against a clearly past it Tyron? Why isn't Luque the obvious #1 contender if that is all it takes? Hell, Luque at least has a 3-fight finish streak going.

I just don't understand why people are acting like Colby is on a Tony-10-fight-win-streak or something.
If you don't want to see the rematch, just say so. I want to see it again. The first fight was fire works. I know he doesn't deserve it but Edwards and Colby are the only guys I want to see fight usman and he's fought both already

He deserved a rematch more than Masvidal. Colby was tied 2-2 against Usman before getting smashed. Masvidal did nothing the first fight and got an immediate rematch.

It's kind of puzzling to me as well, sure the first fight was pretty close but ultimately he got finished. I'd personally like to see fresher matchups but I'm also not a fan so I may be biased.
There are no fresher match ups. Maybe wb if he put himself in contention. Usman is coming around the track looking to lap them as he said

Dan hardy
Nick diaz
Nick was SF champ with a lone controversial loss against Condit/the guy who just contended.

Hardy was not overhyped.

I'm talking purely overhyped based on their contendership bonafides. Colby has won once since losing his last title shot. But everyone acts like he is on a 20-fight win streak. I don't get it. The consistency gap is what I'm criticizing, rather than Colby himself getting the title shot.

There are no fresher match ups. Maybe wb if he put himself in contention. Usman is coming around the track looking to lap them as he said
I get ya but the fact there are no fresher match-ups doesn't justify people saying "it has to be Colby" based on a one-fight win streak. No, it doesn't. It can be anything to include the fact that Usman just competed and you could do Colby vs Wonderboy, Luque vs Edwards, hell I'd argue a winner of a Wonderboy vs Khamzat fight would upset the order. The notion of Colby being apart from the other contenders has no logical basis.

He deserved a rematch more than Masvidal. Colby was tied 2-2 against Usman before getting smashed. Masvidal did nothing the first fight and got an immediate rematch.
Don't misread me saying Colby is the most overhyped contender to mean that I'm saying "Masvidal was deserving of a rematch." Two separate things entirely.

Nathan and Nicholas

No one is acting as if he’s on a 20 fight win streak. People are acting as if he’s the #1 contender, is coming off a win and had a great close fight with the guy dominating the division right now. He earned his first shot at usman and put up a hell of a fight. No one else deserves it more is how people are acting. Maybe if Leon had a good win in there.....but he didn’t.

Colby vs Usman was one of the best WW title fights ever and was tied going into the 5th round. Usman has completely dominated everyone else outside of one good punch Burns landed.

it’s pretty obvious why most people want to see the rematch next.
It’s cuz he had a competitive fight with Kamaru.

I believe Kamaru has improved and hits harder now and will waste him.
He had a very competitive fight with Usman.. he was arguably up on the scorecards before he was finished..

Not particularly strange that some want to see that fight again.
Ok, cool. Then say that. "It was a good fight so let's do a rematch."

Why bullshit and say he's the most deserving contender by far?

Where were you when Masvidal got his rematch?
Yeah I’d rather see Leon vs Usman
IMO that's the fight to make...Masvidal v Edwards...they have a previous beef, the fight will prove Edwards is legit and guarentee him Usman after he beats Colby again and will prove Colby is 100% correct in calling Masvidal a journeyman after he loses. Then Colby vs Masvidal to send Jorge packing for good and over to Bellator.

Back