why do UFC announcers use tired old wrong boxing nomenclature (a better way to describe strikes)

KingGuerrilla

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do announcers call a left cross a "left hand" yet call the right cross a "right cross" (don't get me started on left hooks) . This is an archaic holdover from the boxing nomenclature that expects all athletes to fight with their left hand forward and never switch under any circumstances. In the boxing World switching your stance was considered voodoo and almost no one did it. Of course natural left-handers had their classic name "southpaw" and many of the punches they threw where a naming klusterfuk because the announcer was confused about how to describe it since all their naming systems were based on an athlete who lead with her left hand

As someone with a scientific education who has been involved with fight sports their entire life I have always used a very simple reliable and one hundred percent accurate naming system to describe strikes completely devoid of any reference to whether or not the athlete was leading with their left or right hand!

Straight punches are jabs and crosses regardless of what hand you lead with however when you get into Upper Cuts and hooks things get a little more complicated...especially the hook!!!

A hook or uppercut that comes off the lead hand should be referred to as a "lead uppercut or as a lead hook (not a "left" hook) while an uppercut or hook that comes from the rear hand can simply be referred to as a hook or uppercut

This makes the naming system 100% devoid of any inaccurate descriptions that don't properly cover what's actually happening, a left cross is not a "left hand" and a "left hook" is not a hook that comes off your lead hand its a LEAD HOOK

After all a southpaw who throws a regular Hook off his backhand is actually throwing a left hook yet a standard fight announcer would call that a hook and the hook he theows from his right hand would be referred to as a hook so technically a southpaw can't throw a "left hook" LOL

its 2021 and many modern athletes are proficient at fighting from either stance, I think it's time for us to move our nomenclature foward and get rid of some of the ridiculous tropes that make fight Sport announcers sound stupid.

Back when I was a kid a boxing trainer would demand you lead with your left hand whether or not you were left or right handed simply because it messed up everything they knew and loved... don't get me started on my wrestling coach LOL

Why do announcers call a left cross a "left hand" yet call the right cross a "right cross" (don't get me started on left hooks) . This is an archaic holdover from the boxing nomenclature that expects all athletes to fight with their left hand forward and never switch under any circumstances. In the boxing World switching your stance was considered voodoo and almost no one did it. Of course natural left-handers had their classic name "southpaw" and many of the punches they threw where a naming klusterfuk because the announcer was confused about how to describe it since all their naming systems were based on an athlete who lead with her left hand

As someone with a scientific education who has been involved with fight sports their entire life I have always used a very simple reliable and one hundred percent accurate naming system to describe strikes completely devoid of any reference to whether or not the athlete was leading with their left or right hand!

Straight punches are jabs and crosses regardless of what hand you lead with however when you get into Upper Cuts and hooks things get a little more complicated...especially the hook!!!

A hook or uppercut that comes off the lead hand should be referred to as a "lead uppercut or as a lead hook (not a "left" hook) while an uppercut or hook that comes from the rear hand can simply be referred to as a hook or uppercut

This makes the naming system 100% devoid of any inaccurate descriptions that don't properly cover what's actually happening, a left cross is not a "left hand" and a "left hook" is not a hook that comes off your lead hand its a LEAD HOOK

After all a southpaw who throws a regular Hook off his backhand is actually throwing a left hook yet a standard fight announcer would call that a hook and the hook he theows from his right hand would be referred to as a hook so technically a southpaw can't throw a "left hook" LOL

its 2021 and many modern athletes are proficient at fighting from either stance, I think it's time for us to move our nomenclature foward and get rid of some of the ridiculous tropes that make fight Sport announcers sound stupid.

Back when I was a kid a boxing trainer would demand you lead with your left hand whether or not you were left or right handed simply because it messed up everything they knew and loved... don't get me started on my wrestling coach LOL
I agree with what you said. I personally call it out completely because of the switch stance and shifting just to be more accurate for myself. Because a lead uppercut isn't the same punch if they switch stance or shift. So I name the punches completely that way. Left jab, right cross - shift/switch stance - right jab, left cross, etc.

How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
You've got a point as long as no one asks why or how there's no trouble is there?

...many of the punches they threw where a naming klusterfuk because the announcer was confused about how to describe it since all their naming systems were based on an athlete who lead with her left hand
<mma4>
That was very inclusive of you TS, I dig it.

hmmm, it's really nice to have all the participation guys but do any of you know what the phuck I'm talking about?

Does a retarded person know they are retarded?
I prefer the term specially-abled especially since I'm African-American except I'm white but my mother is from Africa so that makes me African American except im white yo

Back