News Demian Maia’s retirement fight is approaching

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Do you guys think the UFC likes Demian Maia? He’s facing Belal Muhammed in June. I wish he would’ve gotten a layup and let him ride off into the sunset.

He is, in my opinion, the greatest BJJ fighter of all time, when using BJJ application in the MMA format.

His ability to sweep from the half guard is the stuff of legends. I can only wish I was as advanced as that. 99 of 100 fighters today can’t pull off sweeps like that. He’s also one of the best single leg guys for that reason because he can literally pull guard and you’re in danger. Remains to be seen if we see a grandmaster like him in MMA again.

He should have gotten a Diego Sanchez or someone that’s old in his bracket.

I have written off Maia too many times for me to count him out
I am not too knowledgeable on Muhammed's grappling defense, but if Maia can grab a hold of him, he is dangerous

Belal is solid everywhere, the only issue is Maia’s gas tank at this age and he could get out hustled down the stretch of this fight.

but yes, Maia is probably going to get it going in the first round at the very least.

Maia is one of the best BJJ practitioners who's ever done it. So yeah, go Maia. I hope he wins. But, I agree that Bilal is a tall order for him. Though I'm having a hard time thinking of a good send off match-up to replace Bilal with.

People keep saying that they should give people a layup as their retirement fight.

Did Maia say this was his last fight? If he wins would he even want to retire? if he loses will he retire?

99% of the time fighters dont get to choose their retirement fights. They are basically forced out of the game cos they cant win anymore.

Belal is very good. hm interesting fight.

Do you guys think the UFC likes Demian Maia? He’s facing Belal Muhammed in June. I wish he would’ve gotten a layup and let him ride off into the sunset.

He is, in my opinion, the greatest BJJ fighter of all time, when using BJJ application in the MMA format.

His ability to sweep from the half guard is the stuff of legends. I can only wish I was as advanced as that. 99 of 100 fighters today can’t pull off sweeps like that. He’s also one of the best single leg guys for that reason because he can literally pull guard and you’re in danger. Remains to be seen if we see a grandmaster like him in MMA again.

There are, and have been, a lot of BJJ greats in MMA. But none of them had showed the dominance that Maia did against other elite grapplers. And yes, his sweeps are insane, as are his takedowns. He will be missed.

P.S. Please don't try to stand and bang against Belal. Not even for a second.

People keep saying that they should give people a layup as their retirement fight.

Did Maia say this was his last fight? If he wins would he even want to retire? if he loses will he retire?

99% of the time fighters dont get to choose their retirement fights. They are basically forced out of the game cos they cant win anymore.
I don’t remember exactly. But I could of sworn it was confirmed as his retirement fight when it was going to be Khamzat vs Maia

What he did to guys like gunnar Nelson or Ben askren were nothing short of amazing. Jujitsu master

Mai facing a wrestler wtffff

good fight for Belal coming off his NC with Leon. Maia won't likely have any success on his feet or gnp so Belals eye is not likely to face much danger.

kind of a bad fight for Maia, Belal is well rounded, properly seasoned at this point in his career and has superb cardio. Not as explosive as Burns so Maia might survive but in no way are there going to be many outs later in the fight for Maia. His best chance is to outsmart Belal with superior ground technique early and possibly steal the first couple rounds.

In consideration to this being his possible retirement match, I would have given Maia someone like Jake Matthews or Nicholas Dalby so he could have a layup as he rides off into the sunset

I will never forget when he made Story's nose bleed...
rwt7pVY.gif

<{JustBleed}>

maia vs jorge book it.

Maia might be one of the very few guys who retire from the top level of this sport without brain damage.

Belal doesn't have knockout power, but his TDD is gonna be tested. I hope Maia wins

Maia is still a top 10 ranked WW and too good a fighter to give a complete can.

Most likely the UFC also wants to reward Belal for stepping up on short notice against Leon only to get eye poked to Bolivian

My impression of Belal is that he prefers to keep it standing but usually tries to pressure you and grind you into the side of the cage. I'm interested to see the approach he takes against Maia

Back