Masvidal's Best Chance of Beating Usman Was on Short Notice

Wreckless

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I honestly don't think Masvidal has much of a chance at all in this fight.

Yes, he fought Usman on 6 days notice but we all know he's been studying Usman and preparing for him.

There were a few people such as Gaethje (If I recall correctly) that came out saying Masvidal was ready this whole time. Training weeks prior and even brought in wrestlers.

Usman on the other hand fought Masvidal with little knowledge of his techniques, habits, weaknesses etc.. He didn't really have time to study his game as he never expected to fight him. I'm sure this played a big part in him fighting with so much caution.

Both guys will be more prepared this time. But I expect Usman to be a lot more confident and dominant this time around now that he's had plenty of time to study Masvidal's game and focus on him.

I think Masvidal's best chance of beating Usman was on short notice. He's pretty much fucked now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Rumor has it he has been working on his Interlocking Fish Smash Utilization. Huge if true.

Usman will use a GSP style to win this fight. Usman will shadow the takedown from his jab. Mas best chance is to unleash on him early and try to catch him coming in tor a TD.

The difference in strength was apparent. I think Usman will be more active this time around but will continue to beat Masvidal in the clinch and on the ground.

I actually agree with you here. People seem to ignore the fact that not only did Masvidal accept the fight with Usman on 6 days notice, but Usman also accepted the fight with Masvidal on 6 days notice. His entire training camp was dedicated to Burns, an elite grappler. His strategy vs Burns (as we later confirmed), was to keep the fight standing and utilize Usman's jab and power advantage. Then on 6 days notice his opponent was switched to a pure striker. He didn't have much time to develop a gameplan for him, so his entire strategy was just to impose his will and do what he can to get a W.

This time around, Usman has a full camp with Wittman, gameplanning exclusively for Masvidal. Masvidal's approach is the same every fight, there isn't much guesswork here. I can't see him looking much different than he did in the last fight. Whereas I fully expect Usman to be sharper and more dominant. I'm a Masvidal fan... but he doesn't really have anything other than a puncher's chance in this one IMO.

Masvidal has brought foot stumpers into this training camp to prepare for Usman. Marty's best weapon is about to be neutralized. Game Over.

I actually agree with you here. People seem to ignore the fact that not only did Masvidal accept the fight with Usman on 6 days notice, but Usman also accepted the fight with Masvidal on 6 days notice. His entire training camp was dedicated to Burns, an elite grappler. His strategy vs Burns (as we later confirmed), was to keep the fight standing and utilize Usman's jab and power advantage. Then on 6 days notice his opponent was switched to a pure striker. He didn't have much time to develop a gameplan for him, so his entire strategy was just to impose his will and do what he can to get a W.

This time around, Usman has a full camp with Wittman, gameplanning exclusively for Masvidal. Masvidal's approach is the same every fight, there isn't much guesswork here. I can't see him looking much different than he did in the last fight. Whereas I fully expect Usman to be sharper and more dominant. I'm a Masvidal fan... but he doesn't really have anything other than a puncher's chance in this one IMO.
I didn't want to say he has a puncher's chance because he's obviously a skilled fighter but it's pretty much how I see it too.

I'd put him as a bigger underdog than he is right now. Probably 1 to 5 at least.

Fights gonna go exactly the same only Masvidal is gonna actually rightfully win the first round on the judges cards.

I honestly don't think Masvidal has much of a chance at all in this fight.

Yes, he fought Usman on 6 days notice but we all know he's been studying Usman and preparing for him.

There were a few people such as Gaethje (If I recall correctly) that came out saying Masvidal was ready this whole time. Training weeks prior and even brought in wrestlers.

Usman on the other hand fought Masvidal with little knowledge of his techniques, habits, weaknesses etc.. He didn't really have time to study his game as he never expected to fight him. I'm sure this played a big part in him fighting with so much caution.

Both guys will be more prepared this time. But I expect Usman to be a lot more confident and dominant this time around now that he's had plenty of time to study Masvidal's game and focus on him.

I think Masvidal's best chance of beating Usman was on short notice. He's pretty much fucked now.

Thoughts?
I actually think he has a chance of beating usman if he did have a full camp focused on usman before. A better way to make adjustments imo.

He looked a bit out of shape though iirc.

Not saying he will do better, but he will be better prepared. But Usman will be as well.

I agree, don't think an extra year off TDD training will help Masvidal.

While Usman's striking is still relatively basic, he's learned how to throw strong jabs and crosses out of both stances. He's going to have studied Masvidal's stand up habits and use the threat of the clinch/takedown to land big shots on the feet.

Back