Are UFC’s “locker room bonuses” still a thing?

TheSpider

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can’t imagine it still being a thing seeing how Dana/WME had to negotiate with Klose to give him his show money after he was assaulted by “savage” Stephens at the weigh ins

U Fight Cheap is seeming more clear by the day

According to the UFC — after incorrectly giving Fontana the wrong amount initially — the UFC paid a total of $13 million in discretionary bonuses to fighters in 2020. This included the Performance of the Night bonuses, which totaled $8.4 million last year, leaving $4.6 million in additional discretionary payments by the UFC.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/2/...er-room-bonuses-fighter-pay-mma-business-news

Can someone explain to me how paying fighters under-the-table like this doesn’t constitute tax evasion? I always feel like Dana and the fighters are ‘saying the quiet part out loud’ when they openly admit not only that these payments exist, but that they are specifically utilized to avoid having to pay taxes.

Can someone explain to me how paying fighters under-the-table like this doesn’t constitute tax evasion? I always feel like Dana and the fighters are ‘saying the quiet part out loud’ when they openly admit not only that these payments exist, but that they are specifically utilized to avoid having to pay taxes.
They're not under-the-table bags of cash. They are payouts, not publicly disclosed to the press, but disclosed to the IRS.

It's not necessarily under the table. They can disclose it to the IRS w/o disclosing to the public.

They never were

<seedat>

The UFC reports it for for their taxes and financials, and it's up to fighters to report it. The bonuses don't exist to evade taxes, their main purpose is to give a promoter control over the fighter, just like the show/win structure of payments.

They're not under-the-table bags of cash. They are payouts, not publicly disclosed to the press, but disclosed to the IRS.
It's not necessarily under the table. They can disclose it to the IRS w/o disclosing to the public.
I can’t find a specific instance but I swear I’ve heard Dana and a handful of fighters mention not paying taxes as a perk of the bonuses. Maybe they just mean state-specific taxes for where they’re fighting don’t apply?

6 months ago, troll. Figgy didn't get one of the 4 official bonuses, so Dana gave him this

Bellator doesn't give any performance bonuses, because they could only dream of having the cash flow the UFC has.

They aren’t under the table. They are undisclosed. They are technically called discretionary bonuses— such bonuses are used by many corporate entities to reward behavior that helps the company.

According to the UFC — after incorrectly giving Fontana the wrong amount initially — the UFC paid a total of $13 million in discretionary bonuses to fighters in 2020. This included the Performance of the Night bonuses, which totaled $8.4 million last year, leaving $4.6 million in additional discretionary payments by the UFC.
Shady fucks.

It would still be on their 1099 tax form that the UFC has to provide to them and they have to include when they file taxes.

Does it not need to go through the tax system? Do tips go through the tax system in USA?

I can’t find a specific instance but I swear I’ve heard Dana and a handful of fighters mention not paying taxes as a perk of the bonuses. Maybe they just mean state-specific taxes for where they’re fighting don’t apply?
Cowboy used to brag to other fighters about how he hadn't paid taxes in years, then the IRS came to collect I recall. I'm not an account, but there is no reason the bonus would be any different from the purse, it's just another check from the UFC and presumably shows up on any tax form paperwork.
6 months ago, troll. Figgy didn't get one of the 4 official bonuses, so Dana gave him this

Bellator doesn't give any performance bonuses, because they could only dream of having the cash flow the UFC has.

Or if you want an idea of the sheer randomness of bonuses, Justine Kish got a small one after her incident. So let it be known Dana occasionally has a heart

Does it not need to go through the tax system? Do tips go through the tax system in USA?
They don't show up as cash, they're most of a time just another check from the UFC. Cash tips are easier to hide than discretionary bonuses for obvious reasons.

They don't show up as cash, they're most of a time just another check from the UFC. Cash tips are easier to hide than discretionary bonuses for obvious reasons.
Okay thanks.. So when Figgy get's given a load of cash is that not technically legit then?

I figure it all works on a state by state basis right?

Okay thanks.. So when Figgy get's given a load of cash is that not technically legit then?

I figure it all works on a state by state basis right?
I mean, I wouldn't put it past Dana fo occasionally just give someone cash. But that's clearly very unpractical, especially for larger bonuses (Shane Carwin's million dollar bonus bonus was obviously a check).

With Figgy, he was in Vegas, so that's probably the main reason.

Back