Kamaru is Great, but he hasn’t surpassed Hughes Title Defences, Let alone GSP

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matt Hughes Has 9 title wins and 5 consecutive title defences.

Usman has Four title wins and 3 consecutive title defences.

He is a big athletic monster, and very skilled.

But accomplishment wise people need to calm down.

He’s not on GSP’s level yet.

He’s coming up on Hughes.

If he keeps this up for 3-4 more years then we can call him the WW goat.

Give him time :)
Usman will be undefeated for a long time ;)
200w.gif

Yeah that’s right... title defenses against elites like Joe Riggs, Dan Hardy, BJ Penn, Condit, etc lol... Those guys fought weak competition even relative to the time.

Not to mention both Hughes and GSP got FINISHED by LW’s

/THREAD

<36>

Lots of people called Woodley #2 all time too. Where are they now?

Just because Woodley could conceivably have done it, didn't make him #2. Same thing here.

If anyone argues that he will eventually, that's a legit subjective opinion. If anyone argues he is already more accredited than Hughes, that's objectively false.

Yeah that’s right... title defenses against elites like Joe Riggs, Dan Hardy, BJ Penn, Condit, etc lol... Those guys fought weak competition even relative to the time.

Not to mention both Hughes and GSP got FINISHED by LW’s

/THREAD

<36>

Didn't usman just get dropped by one?
Lol. You act like Gilbert Burns is infinitely better than Prime Penn. Penn had just as good if not better striking with elite level BJJ as well.
RDA was a 155'er
Masvidal was a journeyman LW.
Other than that Kamaru has 2 wins against good WW's which was Colby and Leon. I can't gauge how good or bad they are but let's be real... fighting guys like Condit and Diaz.... I can't say they're NOTHING compared to Leon Edwards.... Even the Maia win really isn't as nice as Jake Shields.

Short term memory buddy.

Last edited:
Getting hard to deny. You got into the title picture WAY quicker back in the ufc 20-40 era where mat was starting and building his name with the ufc. Hughes started his UFC run 13-2 before he started really picking up losses. Usman is currently 12-0 and looks go for 13-0 with his 4th defense. Matt hughes certainly wasn't forced to go 8-0 with the promotion before they let him have a shot. GSP's WW legacy to me is still ahead of Usmans, but not for long if continues racking up wins.

Not buying it...

Usman is undefeated in the UFC and on a “17” fight win streak.

He can at least finish people at WW. The last person GSP officially finished was Matt Serra. The same Matt Serra that made him tap to strikes and took his belt.

Stop bullshitting us. We aren’t casual fans who live in tomorrow year.

We need to have new standards here on Sherdog of not fanboying the past.

Last edited:
The whole “lesser competition” doesn’t hold up in these convos, cause it’s all relative. Had guys like prime Fedor or Penn or whoever had been fighting in 2021 with modern training techniques, partners, money, exposure, etc, who is to say they wouldn’t dominate as well? These are special athletes and you can’t judge them based on time period.

Lots of subjective and personal narrative...

I'm enjoying the Legacy he is building...

He's the best WW ever. Not the most decorated, but the most skilled. Also, he's beaten better fighters than GSP did. And he'd wreck GSP.

people are so hung up on numbers and could give a fuck about context. I guess why care about context and watch fights when you can just look on wikipedia and pretend to be smart??

Back