Teddy Atlas: Masvidal will be more competitive can even see upset, willing to put reputation on line

Mesos

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Big words from Teddy, he thinks Jorge will look much better in the Usman rematch and even sees a possible upset by Jorge. Teddy said he’s willing to put his reputation on line that Jorge will look way better this time, Interesting......

edit: Reposting this on the right section lol

Teddy is a boxing guy, I'm sure Mas' boxing looks great. He is 1 of the best boxers in MMA. The problem is the style matchup is bad for Mas. I think Mas didn't look nearly as bad as other people made it out to be. I thought Usman would easily take him down & GnP to a eventual finish or close to it. Instead, I saw Mas do a really good job of defending TDs, & even when he got taken down, he got back up right away without taking much damage except once if I remember correct. Mas is a live dog IMO

One of the few MMA podcasts I listen to for a unique perspective, and he does go out of his way to note he is not as knowledgeable about MMA as he is boxing — and in this instance that he has a personal admiration for Masvidal.

He mentions a right hand that he felt hurt Usman but contends Masvidal didn’t follow up because he probably wanted to pace himself given he took the fight on short-notice. I think he is missing the role that the threat of the takedown plays in that regard here as well though. Not to mention the opponent change for Usman from Burns to Masvidal.

Overall it’s not much of a stretch to assume a fighter performs better with a longer camp though.

Masvidal I think has seen almost all Usman brings to the table and can prepare for that now a lot better. Masvidal definitely can improve more out of the first fight than Usman, I feel.
It's a dangerous fight for Usman because of that.
He should still win, though.

I do not doubt that Masvidal has improved his stand -up. Unfortunately, his weakness is his wrestling. Usmam is a wall-n-stall and ground-n-pound guy, great boxing is not going to save Masvidal from another one sided beat down.

haven't watched video, but has Jorge recently trained at all with Teddy? just wondering how he's so confident. should be more competitive of course, but i'm not expecting an upset

If Conor improved his boxing would it help him against Khabib. Maybe a little, but not enough to win a re-match. Masvidal is in a similar situation.

If it was a stand-up fight, I'm sure he would be right.

Masvidal I think has seen almost all Usman brings to the table and can prepare for that now a lot better. Masvidal definitely can improve more out of the first fight than Usman, I feel.
It's a dangerous fight for Usman because of that.
He should still win, though.

Man, back in the day we would never see the same AV from multiple posters lol.

Back