Paul vs Askren is just the latest, yet warped, episode of Martial Art X v.s. Martial Art Y.

Young Calf Kick

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
For decades, people all over the world have wondered about which martial art is the best.

One familiar example for the MMA/BJJ fans was the fact that the Gracies stormed other dojos in Brazil, taking on the headmasters there, and thus trying to prove their art was the best. This same scenario had been happening in Japan with different martial arts for decades.

Now, "educated" fans like most of us Sherbros know that the question "which martial art is the best" is one of won't ever be answered, simply because it's impossible. There are too many variables. But casual, uneducated fans don't know this. All these weird crossover fights are just iterations of the old main question.

Let me just say, like most of us on here, I absolutely can't stand Jake Paul. I agree with Ben Askren: he's a fake, cringy adolescent whos fanbase probably has an average age of 14 years old, he's being controversial for the sake of being controversial. But I'll give him this:
  • Even though he's a Youtube/Disney kid, he's shown that with a good amount of focus, good trainers and sparring partners, you can get to a semi-professional level in boxing in about 3-4 years. Of course he's fighting bums, but the kid has become a fairly decent amateur/semi-professional boxer. There's a good chance he could've actually become a professional boxer if he started at a young age, he does have some talent.
  • Him, his team and Triller were smart enough to notice two gaps in the (entertainment) market:
  1. Celebrities boxing each other are interesting to a wide audience.
  2. Spinning the "Martial Art X v.s. Martial Art Y" debate into a zones where he has the advantage: boxing an athlete from a different combat sport that is known to have garbage striking.
He's taking small, calculated steps in his boxing "career", setting the bar a bit higher every time, bit by bit: first by boxing another celebrity, then boxing an athlete from a different sport, then boxing an athlete that has a different combat sports background than boxing. Of course he won't challenge actual professional boxers, he knows he'll get murked.

But that's not the point. He's capitalizing on the entertainment value of fighting in a pretty unique way. Sure, purists will get annoyed about him shortcutting the traditional route. But what he's doing for the most part isn't boxing: it's providing entertainment under the guise of boxing, with his role being the traditional heel.

Celebrities boxing each other has been established as a legitimate entertainment form. In the Netherlands, the Boxing Influencers brand was established 3 years ago and generated a lot of attention.
What Triller and Jake Paul are doing is warping this by adding a new, yet familiar element to it:

What happens if a semi-professional boxer/celebrity (Martial Art X) competes with a fighter from a different Martial Arts background (Martial Art Y)?

However you feel about it, this phenomenon is here to stay for a good while.

Last edited:
Agree, it's definitely here to stay, it's not something I have any interest in and didn't watch the fight Saturday but its getting a whole new audience into boxing, whether you want those fans or not to be a fan of the sport, either way, Paul is bringing attention to the sport, making money aswell whilst doing it.

It's not something they're gonna pump the brakes on anytime soon.

Just to make things clear, Paul does not represent boxing just like Askren does not represent the average striking level a MMA fighter has.

This was only a freakshow and not more than that.
Yet made a lot of money, which is all that matters in the fight game.

Just to make things clear, Paul does not represent boxing just like Askren does not represent the average striking level a MMA fighter has.

This was only a freakshow and not more than that.
Of course, but the casual public doesn't think about it like this. That's why it's so compelling.

Agree, it's definitely here to stay, it's not something I have any interest in and didn't watch the fight Saturday but its getting a whole new audience into boxing, whether you want those fans or not to be a fan of the sport, either way, Paul is bringing attention to the sport, making money aswell whilst doing it.

It's not something they're gonna pump the brakes on anytime soon.

Paul is not bringing more attention to the sport, he is bringing more attention to himself.
It is not that everybody will now start watching boxing because of that Youtuber

Of course, but the casual public doesn't think about it like this. That's why it's so compelling.

I think even casuals understand that “celebrity boxing” is just a show and those guys would have nothing to do against the likes of Canelo or GGG

Paul is not bringing more attention to the sport, he is bringing more attention to himself.
It is not that everybody will now start watching boxing because of that Youtuber
No, not everybody. But a percentage of them will because they are being exposed to the sport, yet in a non-traditional way.

No, not everybody. But a percentage of them will because they are being exposed to the sport, yet in a non-traditional way.

You think so?
I don’t know. Boxing is a sport that everybody knows since childhood. I don’t think anybody needs Jake Paul to start watching it.

You think so?
I don’t know. Boxing is a sport that everybody knows since childhood. I don’t think anybody needs Jake Paul to start watching it.
I do. People know of the sport on an unconscious level, but exposure leads to more exposure. You can look at the McGregor era as the big example for MMA.

Well Miley Cyrus already did the twerking thing so he couldn't just go and do that.

But yeah, leveraging celebrity into the fight world is a good way to make money.

That said, give me stem cell injections in my joints, let me train properly for a year and I'll clown his ass.

Half these mother fuckers are just a copy of a copy of a copy of me when I was 12-16 or so anyways.

That's exactly what it is for Pauls following, I imagine most of them had never watched a boxing match in their life until Paul started.

That's the reason the promotors are giving Paul these fights, because they know he'll bring in viewers.

The same way the UFC gave CM Punk half a mill base pay for his first UFC fight, they knew he'd bring in the casual fans who follow them.

More attention on Paul means more attention on boxing.

How can it be x vs y if one of them can't use y?

I wish mma fighters would stop going over to boxing. Start making these dudes come to our game if they want to prove something. Of course the boxer will win in boxing when you take away like 2/3 the rest of combat. Its all pointless, Couture showed what happens when a boxer and a martial artist get in a real battle..taken down and choked within minutes. Atleast do kickboxing when you do these crossovers. Making MMA look bad to casuals when in reality, boxers dont stand a chance.

I wish mma fighters would stop going over to boxing. Start making these dudes come to our game if they want to prove something. Of course the boxer will win in boxing when you take away like 2/3 the rest of combat. Its all pointless, Couture showed what happens when a boxer and a martial artist get in a real battle..taken down and choked within minutes. Atleast do kickboxing when you do these crossovers. Making MMA look bad to casuals when in reality, boxers dont stand a chance.
<VinceCa$h>the money is in boxing.

Back