Media 2 minutes of Chris Weidman's powerful takedowns

I feel like people forget how much of a beast Weidman used to be.

Fucking landed on his head on that first one though, lol. He's lucky he didn't end up like Grey Maynard.

So much power how he rag dolls people off the single. Great timing. Used too much muscle energy though. If he wasn’t able to get significant damage off in the early rounds he would clearly fatigue later

War weedman I hope he beats hall but I have my doubts. On the other hand he would look decent on bellators roster

Agreed. It’s hard to deny that the UFC has gone away from signing/marketing grapplers in general.

Weidmans outside single is one of the cleanest in the sport.

<mma4>

Yeah, look at LHW....Bader, Davis and Corey Anderson all gone and now fighting in a Bellator tournament. And no wrestler to speak of at LHW with Cormier and Jones gone. I know some people don't like wrestlers, but it makes the sport more interesting to have a mix of skillsets. Plus it makes GOAT discussions hard when a striker holds a belt for years without fighting a true wrestler.

Prime versions of Sonnen and Weidman would be nightmares for Izzy. He's lucky there are no elite wrestlers at MW.
Truth. Point fighting strikers are usually fool's gold in MMA unless they have great wrestling to go with it.

Reactions: mkt
Prime Weidman was a monster. I remember being shocked when Rockhold murdered him.

I’d like to see Weidman have one last run. Put him against Paulo Costa and see what happens.

Agreed. It’s hard to deny that the UFC has gone away from signing/marketing grapplers in general.

Weidmans outside single is one of the cleanest in the sport.

<mma4>
You will agree that Whittakers outside single against Gastelum was also very nice:)
ezgif-com-gif-maker-12.gif

And yeah, the UFC has realised that the casual audience prefers strikers to grapplers, so quite a lot of the top level US based wrestlers are going to Bellator now.

Prime Weidman was a monster. I remember being shocked when Rockhold murdered him.

I’d like to see Weidman have one last run. Put him against Paulo Costa and see what happens.
Unfortunately I think Paulo Costa murders him at this point. Not a pretty fight for Weidman.. I’d love to see it though

Crazy how good Weidman used to be. A lot of people say USADA but I think that Rockhold loss combined with a laundry list of injuries was what really got the ball rolling. He used to be a motherfucker.

I think this is a make it or break it scenario of Weidman. He's coming of a win over Akhmedov a top 15 guy so he's got some momentum after a rough few years, but the win wasn't his best performance. If he's able to come out looking impressive vs Hall and I think he's putting himself in a good position to enter contender status, he'll be back in the top 10. But if he loses, then I see him just being a top 11-15 guy at best.

Weidman's high caliber wrestling is a pleasure to watch.

He fights Uriah Hall in a rematch this Saturday at UFC 261, April 24.

Dude just never recovered from USADA.

Back