Who had the better MMA career: Jake Shields or Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 359865

Similar styles, similar legacies. The answer to me is obvious but please discuss I want to see how far gone some folks are.

Jake Shields... and it is not even close...

I like Askren... but Shields has to be regarded as one of the best ever at 170 with wins over Hendo, Woodley, Lawler, Maia, Sakurai, Condit, Kampmann, Daley and Jason Miller...

Ben was unfortunate to not be able to compete in the UFC during his prime, but his resume is seriously lacking when comparing it to a guy like Shields... Ben's best wins were a a green Lima (he had experience, but evolved ALOT after that fight), LW Aoki, and a ringworn Lawler.

I am not trying to take anything away from Ben, I think it is sad that many people will use the Paul fight to judge his legacy (which is TOTALLY BS), but his resume is not anywhere near Shields.

Last edited:
not sheriff srs....

Shields has one of the best resumes ever. Jake is arguably a top 5 WW of alltime. Askren might not even be top 20.

Jakes MW career alone is almost as impressive as Askrens entire career and hes only had a handful of fights @ 185. @ MW Jake has beaten

Hendo
Robbie
Mayhem

Both had great careers. Askren is criminally underrated and fought too guys right from the start of his career. One of the best wrestlers ever in mma and could wrestle and work for 25 mins.

I don’t think people have any idea how great and dominant Bens wrestling was in his day. And he actually finished a lot of fights despite popular opinion.

Jake had the longer career with some big wins on his resume. some bad losses also but big names on his resume.
I would pick askren over Jake In both of their days but Jake had the better career.

Sheilds but askren beat some.very dangerous guys that are up there with some.of Jakes wins. Just because someone fights outside of the ufc doesn't make them a scrub. Lima and koreshkov would absolutely murk a lot of top 10 ufc guys.

Sheilds but askren beat some.very dangerous guys that are up there with some.of Jakes wins. Just because someone fights outside of the ufc doesn't make them a scrub. Lima and koreshkov would absolutely murk a lot of top 10 ufc guys.

Current Lima and Koreshkov sure not the versions that Askren beat.

2012/13 Lima and Koreshkov werent top WWs like theyve been in recent years. They werent even better than Jay Hieron back in that time frame and Jay arguably beat Ben

Amousso and Lyman are the only other relevant WW Askren beat before the Robbie debacle.

what the fuck, it's not even close. It's like comparing Porsche and Civic.

Ben probably beats Shields in MMA, but Shields has much better resume.
Shields would style on Askren but yeah bro just making sure ppl weren’t sipping the kool aid TOO hard.

His early unanimous decision win over Lima makes me have a lot of respect for Askren

Jake Shields is a lot more proven. I do think Ben could've done some big things had he been granted a chance in the UFC much earlier. His last run and the Jake Paul mess has made him look so bad tho, most people will never know that was a seriously good fighter.

Back