Hapkido based fighters?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I remember Denis Kang talking about it and that it was his entry in MMA. It got me wondering, are there any fighters who have Hapkido?

I mean it is a eclectic style which is inline with the principle of MMA. This got me wondering if there are other fighters with a Hapkido background besides Denis Kang?

Hapkido is the new “wrestling, bjj, boxing, Muay Thai combo”.

Whittaker is a Hapkido black belt.

Real talk?

I'm sure there are more. Hapkido is very similar to Karate and TKD, but also has elements of Judo.

It has roots in Tang Soo Do which is Korean Karate and of course Taekwondo is the most popular Korean martial arts and so it makes sense for it to be karate and TKD mixed with grappling and judo.

Has at least 15% of Aikido’s wrist controls. They utilize a cane as a common weapon. It’s a very complete art.

Billy-Jack-%E2%80%94-Action-Special-Kung-Fu-Kingdom-770x472.jpg

Hapkido is a few rungs on the totem below shototen as a viable fighting art in real situations.

Maybe I'm tripping, because I don't know the exact difference between a lot of eastern style martial arts, but doesn't Horiguchi utilize a hapkido-esq style?

Billy Jack. (yeah, I am old as fuck). Still thought people would know him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Jack

Actor, trained in Hapkido under Bong Soo Han.

I got to watch this movie now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and its incredible that a western movie in the 70s knew of other martial arts besides karate, kung fu and judo. Judo was popular pre-bruce lee and then it became kung fu and karate. Surprised to see Hapkido in there.

who dat? come on, man..
<BidenShutIt>

And what is "shototen"?

Let me guess... you still cant spell Shotokan...

That's how the sensei spelled it. That's what I signed up for. That's what I trained 12 years in. That's what it says on the sign.

That's how the sensei spelled it. That's what I signed up for. That's what I trained 12 years in. That's what it says on the sign.

Well last time it was spelled "Shotoken" according to you.
Try google the art you train and see what comes up then google Shotokan
You will be surprised...

Has at least 15% of Aikido’s wrist controls. They utilize a cane as a common weapon. It’s a very complete art.

the only wristlock i've ever known of in mma - volk han's kote-gaeshi against kiyoshi tamura.
k8C4bDi.gif

dunno if wrist locks are even allowed in the unified rules (small joint manipulation) and how tf would you do wristlocks on taped up & gloved hands/wrists

Back