What was worse for MMA?

Which was worse for MMA?

• Total voters

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Jake Paul KOing Ben Askren or Rey Mercer KOing Tim Sylvia?

tumblr_p0xovcn6wI1qd4esao1_500.gifv

For casuals it's definitely Paul beating Askren, even if hes not a striker he is a experienced vet and was a top level fighter. For hardcores it's probably Mercer beating Sylvia, Sylvia was not only a former UFC HW champ he was a striker and he got beat in MMA.

Overall I'd say is Paul winning, even tho Sylvia got KOd under 10 secs in MMA. The brand of the UFC having the most skilled and toughest fighters going away. Although Paul has been training for couple years now hes still a youtuber to most people and losing to him is a terrible look.

Ben for sure. Jake Paul may be a douche, but he has a lot of influence, especially among the younger generation. People that don't know much about MMA will see Ben's record of 19-3, and a UFC fighter, and assumes he represents most UFC fighters.

in what way does the worst male striker in UFC history losing a fake boxing match hurt MMA? ...other than to gen zombie casuals who can't handle the aggressive nature of MMA and red pilled Dana White's politics in the first place

Jake Paul solely because of how popular this fight was. Every casual out there is talking about it and are now trolling UFC fighters (who are supposedly the baddest men on the planet).

Reactions: HHJ
Honestly neither,

if Jake Paul beat Askren at wrestling that would be embarrassing

the time Sylvia fight was so long ago, and was basically a boxing match

3) the fight I find most embarrassing was Mark Hunt losing a boxing match to a Rugby player .. but no one likes to mention that

Honestly neither,

if Jake Paul beat Askren at wrestling that would be embarrassing

the time Sylvia fight was so long ago, and was basically a boxing match

3) the fight I find most embarrassing was Mark Hunt losing a boxing match to a Rugby player .. but no one likes to mention that

This.

The Paul fight I guess, but it shouldn’t really hurt mma in the eyes of anybody with any knowledge of the sport or Askren. He was well known to be one of if not the worst striker in any major mma promotion. Dude got touched on the feet by Demian fucking Maia for God’s sake.

Mercer vs Sylvia was an absolute embarrassment, Sylvia was in terrible shape and he lost to a retired boxer in an Mma fight .
Last night was technically worse because more people were watching

The worst part of it is not Paul knocking out Ben, its Dana and the rest of the community being so full mouthed over this. I dont get why people and especially retired MMA fighters cant shut thier mouth about these celebrities like they are something better.
Have some self respect for fcks sake and let these guys come to your sport if you are really that eager to beat some Youtube clowns.

Lmao neither of them will make even a tiny imprint of making the sport look worse, sure the simpletons like stephen A will be hollering on YouTube that mma is coming to an end because of it, but hey, just because a bird brain is telling you something, doesnt mean you outta believe it.

I think it’s probably worse for mma to have a former champion get starched in an actual mma fight like Sylvia.

Although way less shame in getting clipped by Mercer.

Actually, I want to change my vote. Askren should be embarrassed. What a joke that was.

I think they are both pretty irrelevant.

Askren/Paul by far.

Although it's completely ridiculous that this guy in his physical prime years is beating on significantly smaller middle aged men who spent their lives grinding out athletic careers with wear and tear and then basically show up for a check check to be KO'd. As if jake Paul wasn't a big enough douche before he now gets to ride this wave of fake creditability. Let me know when he starts fighting amateurs his age and size with similar ambitions

I think if Paul would’ve fought askren in mma and won, that’ll be worse for mma in general. This was bad but I can live with it lol.

Boxers are very good at calling out mma fighters in boxing.. i'll leave it at that..

Because of the purse. You're already facing getting KOd in mma. Shit ben just got 500k for several minutes and some bullshit promo appearances. Does anyone even think he trained that hard for this? Any mma fighter will take the loss for the money but yeah that's another discussion so like you said leave it at that

The worst part of it is not Paul knocking out Ben, its Dana and the rest of the community being so full mouthed over this. I dont get why people and especially retired MMA fighters cant shut thier mouth about these celebrities like they are something better.
Have some self respect for fcks sake and let these guys come to your sport if you are really that eager to beat some Youtube clowns.
I agree with you 100%, but it’s probably hard not to take the bait when a fight with Jake Paul will earn these guys 10 times their average paycheck.

Jake Paul KOing Ben Askren or Rey Mercer KOing Tim Sylvia?

tumblr_p0xovcn6wI1qd4esao1_500.gifv

For casuals it's definitely Paul beating Askren, even if hes not a striker he is a experienced vet and was a top level fighter. For hardcores it's probably Mercer beating Sylvia, Sylvia was not only a former UFC HW champ he was a striker and he got beat in MMA.

Overall I'd say is Paul winning, even tho Sylvia got KOd under 10 secs in MMA. The brand of the UFC having the most skilled and toughest fighters going away. Although Paul has been training for couple years now hes still a youtuber to most people and losing to him is a terrible look.

I never took much from Mercer vs Sylvia...it was supposed to be a boxing fight and because of sanctioning issues they changed it to MMA days for the fight. I think they may have had gentlemen's agreement on keeping this mostly standing which might have been why Tim was idiotically not trying to close the distance right away and keep the fight as a striking match. There's a reason why Kimbo destroyed Ray Mercer in MMA and Tim did not and Kimbo sucks as an MMA fighter.

kimbo-slice-traps-ray-mercer-against-the-side-of-the-cage-and-uses-a-picture-id80599071

Back