Japanese jujitsu and the UFC...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Bjj, judo and sambo all have roots in jujitsu. Curious to know which submission moves in the UFC is something that was birthed in the UFC?

Anyone current in the UFC who trains in Japanese jujitsu?

Not sure about any current fighters but Tim Kennedy and Nate Marquadt train JJJ

Judo is pretty popular in the ufc, especially among Russian grapplers.

Guys like Petr yan, Zabit, And Makhachev are excellent with their judo trips.

Why would you train a martial art that isnt prevalent anywhere in the world except Japan and BJJ is just everywhere? Propably only Japanese fighters have a background there.

Japanese Jujitsu is taught everywhere. Before BJJ became popular it was just called Jujitsu(or Jiu-jitsu)
I discovered last week there's a Japanese Jiujitsu dojo like an hour and 15 minutes from me. But it's in a pretty small touristy city up north in the mountains, so I wouldn't expect to find any great fighters there

Japanese Jiu Jitsu is mostly a McDojo art. Now I’m sure that someone who’s never trained before will come out and tell me they know some guy and it’s effective but there’s a reason why fighters largely aren’t training it.

I think Tyson Pedro is a JJ black belt.

Why would anybody train JJJ when no successful MMA fighter has that background today?

Wrestling and Sambo are the best base. Muay Thai is good one too.
BJJ comes in 3rd place. Boxing is useful. Judo can be useful too.

That’s it.

Alexey Oleynik is a Black Belt in it, and has 46 Submissions on his record...so he must have learnt a thing or two

Why would anybody train JJJ when no successful MMA fighter has that background today?

Wrestling and Sambo are the best base. Muay Thai is good one too.
BJJ comes in 3rd place. Boxing is useful. Judo can be useful too.

That’s it.
What is the difference between BJJ and JJJ?

Back