Media Arnold Allen blames Slippery Canvas for not finishing Sodiq Yusuff at UFC on ABC 2

Inverse

Ginger Belt
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

“Almighty” Arnold Allen talks with Sherdog’s Tudor Leonte shortly after taking a victory from Sodiq Yusuff in the second co-main event in the UFC on ABC era. Allen talked about his ‘pretty rough’ camp for the fight, how he failed to deliver a finish due to the slippery canvas, his plans to challenge the winner of the Korean Zombie-Dan Ige fight and much more.

00:30 Returning in the UK
02:04 His camp in preparation for the fight
03:05 Dropping Sodiq Yusuff but not being able to finish him due to the slippery canvas
04:23 Slowing down in the third round due to the weight cut What did you say to each other after the fight?
06:40 Talking his 8-fight winning streak
07:54 Calling out the winner of the Korean Zombie vs. Dan Ige match-up
08:51 What’s next for him

How about the fact that arnold clinched him for the remainder of each round after hurting Yusuf? I like Allen but weird to hear him say stuff like this when it looked like he had zero killer instinct that fight and was happy to stall the rest of each round after the knockdown and head kick

Find it funny a guy that is 17-1 was being used as a stepping stone...

How about the fact that arnold clinched him for the remainder of each round after hurting Yusuf? I like Allen but weird to hear him say stuff like this when it looked like he had zero killer instinct that fight and was happy to stall the rest of each round after the knockdown and head kick
Yusuf was the one who stalled the fight he was down 2 rounds.

He needed a finish to win and he chose to hold Allen against the cage.

I am not sure why but lately I have noticed a lot of guys slipping. Not just on the painted areas either.

I am not sure why but lately I have noticed a lot of guys slipping. Not just on the painted areas either.

For sure. Casey Kenney was slipping all over the place vs Dom Cruz and I noticed a few others in that event doing the same just in that event alone and some others. It's been all of a sudden clearly more common, so It seems something is different, different material or something. I have heard fighters commenting on it in interviews etc....you'd think that would be something UFC would be quick to address, but apparently not.

I still remember KOTC "Wet and Wild" when they had an event outside and it poured, that was a disaster.

I had seen on aljiman sterling's podcast awhile back he was saying that the canvas is really slippery because of whatever the ufc is spraying it with to disinfect. It's worth noting that he said this before his fight with Yan

I thought somebody else complained about the slippery canvas recently too, but somebody who lost their fight? can't remember who it was.

wonder if the fighters can do anything for it, like chalking their feet

I literally said this as soon as he slipped while throwing that high kick

I bet it's the covid shit they are spraying on the floor, ever since the first event they started spraying that shit I have noticed more slips

Allen would run through Ige with plenty to spare.
Am not seeing any other top 10s that Allen could conceivably outfight considering his style though, right now

For sure. Casey Kenney was slipping all over the place vs Dom Cruz and I noticed a few others in that event doing the same just in that event alone and some others. It's been all of a sudden clearly more common, so It seems something is different, different material or something. I have heard fighters commenting on it in interviews etc....you'd think that would be something UFC would be quick to address, but apparently not.

I still remember KOTC "Wet and Wild" when they had an event outside and it poured, that was a disaster.

I can’t remember who it was against but there was a fight where Machida must’ve slipped at least 2-3 times on one of the sponsorship decals.

Back