Do YOU hespect Hidehiko Yoshida?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite fighters.

Gold medalist Judoka

Tapped out Frye, Tank and Hunto

Little to no striking experience yet he stood in the pocket and exchanged with Prime Wand...went the distance with Wand TWICE.

untitled.png

I do...
but lets be honest, losing to James Thompson is great dishonour for Judo. Shamefur dispray. (even if it was a high-in machismo great honour dispray of Budo, but not really the smartest way to carry on IMO...)

Of course. The best Japanese HW ever. Lol rereading his wiki page reminded me of how petty some of the Gracies were.

So much hespect even the GOAT wore his Gi.

0427_jrock_01.jpg

Gold medalist Judoka

Little to no striking experience yet he stood in the pocket and exchanged with Prime Wand...went the distance with Wand TWICE.

View attachment 847870
pretty impressive going the distance with juiced out Pride era Wand! hespect

AnotherElderlyApe-size_restricted.gif

He fought some really good opposition whilst having relatively low levels of dedicated training and came out the other end giving a good account of himself. His results were mixed but he always fought bravely and you have to admire that. Great that he humbled Royce as well (or he would have if the family knew humility)

Gold medalist Judoka

View attachment 847870
much Hespect for Yoshida. One fight comes to mind off of the bat: Cro Cop vs Yoshida.... Fuck me my friend, my legs hurt just watching the fight!

I do...
but lets be honest, losing to James Thompson is great dishonour for Judo. Shamefur dispray. (even if it was a high-in machismo great honour dispray of Budo, but not really the smartest way to carry on IMO...)
Jesus I forgot all about that. I assumed you mistakenly meant Rulon Gardner with all that “shameful for Judo” business until I checked, but nope, he definitely lost to man myth legend JT lol

Very good and dangerous under PRIDE rules with GI kimono allowed, no sweat, 10 minute round and no elbows.

True artist of GI subissions and chokes & using Gi kimono as weapon with wide arsenal of judo techniques.
Was ranked in Top 10 & Top 15 HW for some time.

Big wins vs Don Frye while he was in Top 10, Hunt, Tamura, Ogawa; should have a got win vs Royce, it was ref's right to call decision in the ring.

Last edited:
Gotta love Yoshida, he was that super stoic calm cool collected dude 24/7, but when he was cornering Sakuraba during his first fight against Royce, he became pretty wild, instructing Saku to jump in his guard and all.
Yoshida screaming his head off every time Royce was butt-scooting is one of my favorite parts of that long, looong fight. :D

Yoshida also managed to do well financially, his PRIDE bout against his Judo rival Naoya Ogawa was the highest paid bout in PRIDE. Something like 2 millions $ for each of them.

Ogawa was a huge pro-wrestling star in Japan, and his demands for fighting in MMA again after that trashing from Fedor were pretty extravagant.

Yoshida was also one of the guys who used the Gi to the fullest when it was still legal to wear one.
He choked Royce out via Sode guruma jime.
And in his rematch against Wanderlei Silva, he did a great job at entangling Silva's arms with his sleeves to keep him close to him.

I was a bit sad that Yoshida chose to fight his best student, Kazuhiro Nakamura, for his retirement fight as I didn't want to see either of them losing... I've always been a big supporter of both Yoshida & KazNak :(
member that time?

That was one of the times were I really regretted not speaking Japanese better, as I really wanted to understand why Yoshida had made this particular choice, but I couldn't read any of the interviews, and obviously they weren't translated in any other languages...

Back