How does Masvidal vs the rest of the top 10 go at WW?

sampuncher

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
When it comes to talking about Mas, usually naturally the talk is all about him vs Usman, if not that it's talk about him fighting Colby/Leon and how those fights go for him.

The streak Mas was on before his first title shot, Till, Askren and Nate, none of those 3 are ranked at WW anymore so there's a fair number of fresh match ups for Masvidal against guys he hasn't fought before, only really Maia and Wonderboy besides Usman.

I wanted to ask how you think Masvidal would do against the rest of the top 10? Mainly guys ranked 5-10. Does he beat all of them? Does he struggle stylistically against some of the others? What do you think?

How does Mas go against the following?

- Gilbert Burns
- Luque
- Chiesa
- Magny
- Woodley
- Geoff Neal

I only ask as those match ups you rarely hear people talking about when it comes to Mas facing guys at WW, I know it's hypothetical but how do you think Mas vs the above guys goes? (I haven't included WB and Maia as those fights have happened already).

Beats Burns, Magny and the current version of Woodley. I think he could outstrike Neal and he did fight Chiesa before but Chiesa has improved his striking. The hardest fight is Luque

Masvidal is too small to be champ at 170 but I think he matches up well with all those guys. Colbys wrestling would be too much but I think he could stuff chiesa. Would outstrike the rest of those guys.. agrees Luque would be toughest fight

Beats Burns, Magny and the current version of Woodley. I think he could outstrike Neal and he did fight Chiesa before but Chiesa has improved his striking. The hardest fight is Luque

Yeah, I think Luque is his toughest fight aswell.

Forgot about Chiesa but think both were at LW weren't they? Be interested to see how the Chiesa that fought Magny would do.

Masvidal is too small to be champ at 170 but I think he matches up well with all those guys. Colbys wrestling would be too much but I think he could stuff chiesa. Would outstrike the rest of those guys.. agrees Luque would be toughest fight

I think that the Colby fight is harder to call either way than most people make out.
They know each other's tendencies due to training together for so long.

I think that the Colby fight is harder to call either way than most people make out.
They know each other's tendencies due to training together for so long.

Because they’ve trained together is what has people including myself believing it’s a fight that Masvidal doesn’t want. Granted, no one besides the parties involved know for sure but the optics of the situation as far as the fight not happening don’t look good for Masvidal.

Colby has a style much like Usman where he can grind out a fight. That constant pressure coming forward is a lot for some fighters to deal with. I just feel stylistically, Masvidal is not on that level. It’s nothing against Jorge, it’s just a bad match up on paper for Jorge.

I think Colby has done himself a huge injustice with fight fans with all this diva/drama holding out for a title fight situation. People are starting to view him as this “all talk” fighter and forgetting the caliber of fighter he is.

Because they’ve trained together is what has people including myself believing it’s a fight that Masvidal doesn’t want. Granted, no one besides the parties involved know for sure but the optics of the situation as far as the fight not happening don’t look good for Masvidal.

Colby has a style much like Usman where he can grind out a fight. That constant pressure coming forward is a lot for some fighters to deal with. I just feel stylistically, Masvidal is not on that level. It’s nothing against Jorge, it’s just a bad match up on paper for Jorge.

I think Colby has done himself a huge injustice with fight fans with all this diva/drama holding out for a title fight situation. People are starting to view him as this “all talk” fighter and forgetting the caliber of fighter he is.

I agree re: diva/drama.

The "Colby probably used to wipe the mat with Jorge when they wrestled argument" may very well be legit.
Jorge's striking coach and really the entire ATT coaching staff would be able to coach Jorge on how to best beat Colby since they know nearly all of his tendencies.

Also, I believe that Masvidal is more concerned with $$. I also believe that he thinks that the best way to "punish" Colby is to not give Colby the money fight; because lets be real, Colby isn't as big of a draw; and a rematch with Nate will draw more eyeballs.
A Leon Edwards fight might even come close due to their backstage altercation.

And we all know that Colby stabbed Masvidal in the back when he stiffed Jorge's boxing coach. What makes it worse is that Masvidal vouched for Colby because he let Colby sleep on his couch and believed that Colby would man up and pay his debts.
Add Colby badmouthing Jorge in the media, and it makes sense that he wouldn't want to give Colby another opportunity to advance his own career. While it'd be a good payday for Jorge, he can definitely make the money elsewhere.

I doubt he's scared, though. He used to sleep in his car and fight people in backyards not knowing how the spectators would react if he won.

So I doubt that he's "Scared."

I agree re: diva/drama.

The "Colby probably used to wipe the mat with Jorge when they wrestled argument" may very well be legit.
Jorge's striking coach and really the entire ATT coaching staff would be able to coach Jorge on how to best beat Colby since they know nearly all of his tendencies.

Also, I believe that Masvidal is more concerned with $$. I also believe that he thinks that the best way to "punish" Colby is to not give Colby the money fight; because lets be real, Colby isn't as big of a draw; and a rematch with Nate will draw more eyeballs.
A Leon Edwards fight might even come close due to their backstage altercation.

And we all know that Colby stabbed Masvidal in the back when he stiffed Jorge's boxing coach. What makes it worse is that Masvidal vouched for Colby because he let Colby sleep on his couch and believed that Colby would man up and pay his debts.
Add Colby badmouthing Jorge in the media, and it makes sense that he wouldn't want to give Colby another opportunity to advance his own career. While it'd be a good payday for Jorge, he can definitely make the money elsewhere.

I doubt he's scared, though. He used to sleep in his car and fight people in backyards not knowing how the spectators would react if he won.

So I doubt that he's "Scared."

I agree in a sense with everything you are saying.

I don’t believe Masvidal is scared of Colby. I just think he’s worried about the prospect of a loss to Colby which does more damage then a loss to Usman. To me, being scared of the fighter across the cage from you is different then the prospect of being worried about a loss to the guy from a stylistic point of view.

No one really knows the truth between Colby and Masvidal. At times it seems like a lot of he said she said nonsense between the two.

Personally I just feel Colby is a bad match up and in a level about Masvidal. I do feel fight fans are too emotional as a whole and can’t objectively look at fighters at times ( not saying thats you). Colby is falling victim to that because simply people don’t like him but that shouldn’t take away from the fact that the dude is legit and in my opinion, the 2nd best WW in the world.

Masvidal loses to:
Usman
Colby
Leon
Burns

Masvidal beats:
Chiesa
Maia
Woodley

Too close to call:
Luque
Wonderboy

Loses to literally all of them except 1 or 2. Dude's a bum and this title shot is some WWE shit.

Besides Woodley, Ponz and maybe Lawler, I think he loses to everyone in the TOP 15.

He beats Chiesa, Lawler, and Neil and that's it.

He beats all the guys you listed. He is a great WW fighter despite what people say. Excellent striking, good grappling, and now has more of a WW frame.

Chiesa would be his toughest fight. I think Chiesa has filled out better at WW and has improved his skills more

I agree in a sense with everything you are saying.

I don’t believe Masvidal is scared of Colby. I just think he’s worried about the prospect of a loss to Colby which does more damage then a loss to Usman. To me, being scared of the fighter across the cage from you is different then the prospect of being worried about a loss to the guy from a stylistic point of view.

No one really knows the truth between Colby and Masvidal. At times it seems like a lot of he said she said nonsense between the two.

Personally I just feel Colby is a bad match up and in a level about Masvidal. I do feel fight fans are too emotional as a whole and can’t objectively look at fighters at times ( not saying thats you). Colby is falling victim to that because simply people don’t like him but that shouldn’t take away from the fact that the dude is legit and in my opinion, the 2nd best WW in the world.

These guys went into fighting for a living, it's not that they are scared to fight or scared of an opponent. It's more that they are scared of the decrease in income and reputation that a loss would bring. This is their livelyhood and every loss has a significant impact on their bargaining power.

These guys went into fighting for a living, it's not that they are scared to fight or scared of an opponent. It's more that they are scared of the decrease in income and reputation that a loss would bring. This is their livelyhood and every loss has a significant impact on their bargaining power.

Well said. Completely agreed.

When it comes to talking about Mas, usually naturally the talk is all about him vs Usman, if not that it's talk about him fighting Colby/Leon and how those fights go for him.

The streak Mas was on before his first title shot, Till, Askren and Nate, none of those 3 are ranked at WW anymore so there's a fair number of fresh match ups for Masvidal against guys he hasn't fought before, only really Maia and Wonderboy besides Usman.

I wanted to ask how you think Masvidal would do against the rest of the top 10? Mainly guys ranked 5-10. Does he beat all of them? Does he struggle stylistically against some of the others? What do you think?

How does Mas go against the following?

- Gilbert Burns
- Luque
- Chiesa
- Magny
- Woodley
- Geoff Neal

I only ask as those match ups you rarely hear people talking about when it comes to Mas facing guys at WW, I know it's hypothetical but how do you think Mas vs the above guys goes? (I haven't included WB and Maia as those fights have happened already).

-Gilbert Burns: Masvidal by decision. Masvidal's a better striker, and I have a hard time picturing Burns knocking him out. The jiu-jitsu makes it interesting, but if Masvidal could avoid being submitting by Maia, he should theoretically be able to do the same.
-Luque: Pick'em, but the winner would be by split decision. Luque seems like the type of guy that would beat Masvidal by split-decision, anyways.
-Chiesa: Hard to say. I know that Mas beat him at LW, but Chiesa has turned into a destroyer at 170lbs. Something tells me that Chiesa would upset him, somehow.
-Magny: Masvidal by KO/TKO. Hurts to say that because I like Magny a lot.
-Woodley: Prime Woodley probably KOs Mas, but this current Woodley loses by decision.
-Geoff Neal: Pick'em. Similar to Luque, I can see Neal winning by split-decision.

Back